My NC Mainline Running Class 1 Layout in HO

image.jpg
A view from above the crossing

Last edited by a moderator:
image.jpg

Here, the close clearances are shown by these double stack containers clearing this signal bridge and tunnel. Those signal bridges are built from NJinternational signal bridges, Oregon Rail Supply hoods, and some styrene parts. A little silver paint and viola. I put LEDs in them but they aren't wired or pre-wired. They are for show only.

image.jpg
A view over the double track bridges and the steel viaduct. The peninsula tracks are visible beneath the bridges and after a 30" set of curves will begin their 2% climb to meet with the upper level (viaduct) track. The engine at the right is an Atlas C40-8 that I use as a pusher on the coal train.

image.jpg
I need to do a lot more scenery work here (and reattach the door), but here is the engine shop. Inside there is a BlueBox csx ac4400 with a welder hard at work on it.

image.jpg
This was a fun graffiti project. The prototype I found online somewhere.

image.jpg

When you like trains and Star Wars, why not combine the two? I saw this on a bridge at a park in town. Don't know what the Rising Sun has to do with a Storm Trooper, but that's how it was painted.

image.jpg

The background buildings are some various HO scale buildings I found on line, printed out and mounted on backer board. I need to fix some of the edges.

View attachment 43710
A view over the double track bridges and the steel viaduct. The peninsula tracks are visible beneath the bridges and after a 30" set of curves will begin their 2% climb to meet with the upper level (viaduct) track. The engine at the right is an Atlas C40-8 that I use as a pusher on the coal train.

Yet another nice railroad layout. BigB, I am impressed with your skills, but would like to see more close-ups of the railroad, the trees and shrubs, and the city area. How about it?

I will get some more pictures out soon, but right now I'm not doing much modeling it being summer...Got a family vacation to go on and I'm in the middle of a DIY bathroom renovation. But I promise I'll get the pictures on here soon.

Brad

Okay great, Brad! You have yourself a nice family vacation. And Happy early 4th of July and good luck with your bathroom renovations.

Wow. It is amazing to see it go from paper to reality. Great use of your space.

Curt,

Thanks for the kind words. Perhaps the most enjoyable part of layout construction for me is seeing your idea transition from an idea, to a blueprint, to a physical structure and not end up being a disaster...lol

Spiral Storm,

Still haven't forgotten about more pics. I have to grout my freshly lain tile floor tomorrow and then I'll have a break before the vanity gets here. After I get the toilet back on....lol

Ok so I finished my bathroom renovations, it's starting to get cooler here in NC, and I've run out of excuses, so here are a few more pics (as promised)...

Brad

Here is a simple, cheap backdrop I made around my viaduct. I just found some Canadian fir trees off a Google search and printed them out, cut them out when watching tv, and mounted them to backer board with spray glueing wallpaper.

51F72271-A300-41C8-BD15-17F5FB0AAEBB_zpsnvhjod1k.jpg

Here's one I made for the Christmas scene I have along one corner. I just searched "winter fir forest snow Canada" or something like that and just cut and printed. Mounted to cardboard with craft glue. I need to touch up the top of the cardboard with blue paint to blend the edge into the wall.

I just refuse to pay the big $$$ these folks online are charging for "Ultimate Backdrops" or whatever. Way cheaper this way, and the effect to me and my audience is the same...also, more funds can be allocated for rolling stock. :)

Brad

The noticeable seam you see at the left here has since been reworked and looks a lot better...fyi

F3D0E40A-5E8F-4017-8D38-C00BCD84B594_zps4tbfmcsu.jpg

I've been working diligently on producing a highly detailed, Loksound equipped NS #6920 SD60E Veterans' unit the last several weeks. I have a thread in the "Showing Off" area with more photos, but here's an earlier photo of the painted shell, chassis and cab. The details have all been added since this photo and I'm now down to final assembly to include wiring and decaling.

Brad

9985EF25-A509-4717-A70A-87CB1D1E29F3_zpsojnljxco.png

Back