My N Scale 3x4 layout

sarge

After quite some time researching, planning, reading etc etc I think I've come up with a draft for my layout.

It'll be a 3x4, N scale. The intent is for a GO train (Athern Bombardier coaches) to run on the outside track, with a 11" radius. On the inner 9 3/4 track will run the freight, with a small coaling operation, fuel operation and freight loading dock at the small yard.

Still trying to figure out RTS, so I added some detail using Paint, with the tunnel/mountain/hill on the right, over the bridge and then on the left a small forest. This is to somewhat cover up the potential "ugliness" of the bombardier's on the turns.

I intend to run DC, with 2 controls with the inner and outer loops isolated to allow concurrent operation if I so wanted.

The layout is as much for me as it is for my son. So its small (based on the area authorized by the boss), simple to the point with what I think enough for us to enjoy.

Your comments, feedback and experience are very welcome.

And to give credit where credit is due, the layout is based on this 4x8 HO: http://www.layoutvision.com/id48.html

opps I forgot to mention that in the middle of the big green void is where I plan to put a road with stores/buildings, some type of small town

Since you have the room I would increase the radius of the turns, Big cars and engines won't do well on 11 inch radius. With your equipment I'd go 13" radius on the inside turns.

AS for dual DC, buy the time you pay for two you might as well get DCC and give yourself a lot more options.

Thanks for the reply. I expanded the layout to 3x5 to allow 13" on the outside and 11" on the inside.

As for DCC, I've considered many times but it doesn't seem to be as cost efficient. I have a power pack and a loco, so as far as I can tell I need to add another one of each. Which would be $50-70 for a new power pack and approx $100 for another loco (if bought new).

Whereas DCC would cost me $200+, and the loco's are $150, plus I would need to replace/upgrade my current one.

Is there some hidden or unaccounted costs associated with wiring for DC blocks I should consider?

Good DCC starter kits can go from $100-150. You can get a Bachmann DCC unit for $50 on eBay, but it is not an expandable system.

Adding DCC to an existing engine, even one you buy new is $15 and takes all of 10 minutes. (although I've never added DCC to an N-scale engine.)

I know I am going to get arguments, but DC is a dead end system. If you go with DC in the beginning, switching will be come harder and harder--but eventually you will want to.

Even on your layout, DCC will increase your enjoyment just by the things you can do that you can't with DC. I switched to DCC on my HO 4 x 8 layout and have never looked back.

Back