My layout

F

f1_indy2000

I had a thread going about my layout, but it seems to be gone. Oh well. I wanted to keep sharing the evolution of my layout. If any of you remember what I had done which was pretty basic, it was a 10X8 L shape continueous curve. I have added three feet and a double line wrapping around the north end of the tables. This is now a 13X8 L shape. My minium curve is 22degrees. Everything works nicely. So beside adding another three feet my projects have been painting the walls. I started with a primer paint that is suppose to keep the leaks out of my basement walls. Then I started doing the clouds and then doing the horzions. I'll send some more of pix of the walls later. I just wanted show off what I have accomplished far. My next thing is to think about scenery.

Boy, that's a nice job on those clouds but, if I may be so bold, your talent is being wasted doing this on cement block walls. If you get some 1/8" masonite, screw that to the walls, and then reproduce your paint job and clouds, it would look so much better. The only additional suggestion is start with a lighter blue on the horizon and a darker blue as you go up.

It does look to be running close to the edge but, I still think it looks like a pretty sweet layout. Nice work.

Yep it's close to the edge. Basically how I planned it and it works. I put a 2X4 running along the edge of the existing bench work. The table's heigth is 42" off the ground, so I had to anchor the 2X4 about a half inch higher to meet the edge of the table. The center of the rails are 1 1/2" from the edge. Its close but it works and I get my 24 degree radius that way. Surely there probably is an easier way I could have done it, however it only took a couple of hours to build. Laying the track took more time obviously.

Boy, that's a nice job on those clouds but, if I may be so bold, your talent is being wasted doing this on cement block walls. If you get some 1/8" masonite, screw that to the walls, and then reproduce your paint job and clouds, it would look so much better. The only additional suggestion is start with a lighter blue on the horizon and a darker blue as you go up.

Thankyou and I appriciate your boldness. The horzion painting is kind of like doing the scenery which I will do next eventually (A work in progess). I kind of thought about doing the work on something especially if my walls begin to bleed water this coming spring. Before I painted the walls I did give them a good cleaning of ridding out the lime build up. I guess when I have to I will put something over them like you suggest and redue the walls. I wasn't hard to do and it comes easy for me. Funny thing is when I tell people I'm into model railroading for the art of it they look at me like oh those are toys. They usually are awed when they see my work and see no toy about it. Again thanks for the suggestion. I will keep it in mind.

Looks good like a very nice layout . A bit of plexiglass along the edge is good for viewing thru and keeping rolling stock from falling .

Back