my layout design

12' x 8'. C = commercial, R = residential, TS = train station, I = industrial, M = military base.
I might have the industrial area removable for adding detail to the town.

track12-13-13_zpsaa9f1c24.jpg

Interesting, but it really is hard to see. Is there a possibility that you can change the background to another color, to make the trackplan easier to see?

I have long arms... Lol! I'm building in access points that can be removed. The large industrial area is one. It's 27" x 17". Plenty of room to pop up in. I'll have a pair of grippers to pick up trains if needed.

You must have a background in zoning or community planning?
Rarely see such a logican configuration. Most guys go for an artsy approach.

Go get em!!!!!

(and Have Fun) lasm

What are the purple dashed lines representing? Cuts in the board for an elevation change?

Edit 10 seconds later - Ah, never mind, first item in the legend.

Your train station should be on the opposite side of your layout & NOT on the turntable leads. Also see if you can line up the Xovers on the right side. That way the locos don't have to do alot of back & forth movements to get to/from the turntable & roundhouse. The turntable lead can come off the bottom track.

Um, not to rain on anyone's parade, but what is the purpose? Display (engines) with a little bit of mainline for them to run on?

You must have a background in zoning or community planning?
Rarely see such a logican configuration. Most guys go for an artsy approach.

Go get em!!!!!

(and Have Fun) lasm

I was a site designer for commercial and multifamily developers for 7 years!
Guess that is stuck in my easy of thinking now! Thanks!

Your train station should be on the opposite side of your layout & NOT on the turntable leads. Also see if you can line up the Xovers on the right side. That way the locos don't have to do alot of back & forth movements to get to/from the turntable & roundhouse. The turntable lead can come off the bottom track.
The turntable has 2 main lines leading to it. Of i was going for a prototypical layout, i would defiantly take your advice! I am just going for what works with my fantasy little town. Thanks though!

In a hobby that it completely in the eye of the beholder, why would you ask such a thing? That's just rude.

Dude, you asked for suggestions and then have dismissed everything anyone with more experience suggested -- that's rude. If you think your layout is fantastic as-is, then why ask? Just go ahead and have fun.

Those of us who have done this before think there might be a better way to use the space, but you don't seem to be interested in our opinions. Otiscnj has helped a lot of other people and he asked a reasonable question.

Dude, you asked for suggestions and then have dismissed everything anyone with more experience suggested -- that's rude. If you think your layout is fantastic as-is, then why ask? Just go ahead and have fun.

Those of us who have done this before think there might be a better way to use the space, but you don't seem to be interested in our opinions. Otiscnj has helped a lot of other people and he asked a reasonable question.

I did not ask for suggestions. Simply showing my layout. I've worked on it for months. I'm not looking to be prototypical. Not asking for MY design to be judged by seasoned pros (which i consider most of you), just sharing.
If I cooked you a meal, would you tell me "i would have done this" or "you should have served it with that instead"?

Well, then excuse us for trying to help you avoid rookie mistakes that others have made.

... and if you cooked me a meal that was awful because you made some well-known beginner's errors, yes, I probably would mention it to you so that you wouldn't make those same mistakes again. I wouldn't tell you it was great when it was not, which seems to be what you want here.

Carry on.

Ouch!!! oops!!!

Or is it a Biff and a Bam?? Something like that. Something about keeping the sand in the sand box and not throwing it in each other's face.

I like PJ, lets not alienate him the first week. lasm

Ouch!!! oops!!!

Or is it a Biff and a Bam?? Something like that. Something about keeping the sand in the sand box and not throwing it in each other's face.

I like PJ, lets not alienate him the first week. lasm

Thank you for being kind! Like i said, i consider you guys pros, but this layout is what i want it to be. Lets keep it positive.

FWIW, I wasn't trying to be rude, my intention was simply to inquire what the purpose was of your layout. People are into different things. Some people want to model large portions of a given railroad; others focus on a shorter stretch. Also, some people model specific places, others don't follow the prototype so closely.

I asked the question because in my experience, if you're like at least some of us, you'd like to have a larger model railroad, so you can model more than just one location, as again, depending on your level of interest in the hobby, watching the same train(s) go 'around and around,' can get boring after a while. Something more complex often times keeps our interests going longer.

Bottom line, up front, is 'its your railroad.' I was under the impression that you were looking for opinions about the trackplan, otherwise I wouldn't have responded, except to ask, 'do you have any photos?'

Mr. King, I believe from Indianna, back in the 70's had a one scene railroad, that was featured on the cover of Model Railroader a number of times. He didn't even have a loop of track, but he made his own cameras, and everything else, which I still admire to this day.

Lionel featured many layouts of this style back at their show rooms, in the 1950's.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was the "Um, not to rain on anyones parade, but..." if not for that beginning I wouldn't of thought it negative. that usually tells me someone's about to tell me what I can't do. No problem though. they haven't figured out how to make a sarcastica font yet!

Back