My Introduction...

The L Train

Hey Everyone!

Total train Newb here. My wife got me a Lionel Scout set for Christmas and I am really enjoying it!! So, I went to the local train store the other day and picked up enough extra track pieces to get a simple figure 8 going. And grabbed a couple vintage cars for kicks, an old tank car and one box car with Wheaties logo on it...pretty cool.

Gutted the office and moved some stuff around...then stole the wife's Dinning Room table, put all the extra table extensions in and laid the green felt table top protector down. It's not turf...but better than nothing right now! lol My plan is to start getting some layout ideas and I can already tell that I could learn a lot on here.

Since I'm still very new to this, my knowledge on good/bad engines is very limited. I want to start out with a simple 2 engine layout. What I would like to do is get one old school steamer, and one modern deisel. My Scout runs ok but I'm looking to go higher.

So, what in your opinion are nice models for both of these? Money isn't really a worry but I would like to keep the total for both under 1K. I have looked through a few catalogs and roamed around online but would like your advice as well. I know that some of these O scale engines can cost an arm and a leg!

Thanks in advance.

I haven't messed with Lionel size so I don't know much about the various manufacturers. However, as a general rule, cheap equipment will operate poorly, and more expensive stuff will look and work better. :)

Welcome to the forum and have fun with your trains. :D

I haven't messed with Lionel size so I don't know much about the various manufacturers. However, as a general rule, cheap equipment will operate poorly, and more expensive stuff will look and work better. :)

Welcome to the forum and have fun with your trains. :D

Usually true with most anything you put money into. Thanks for the welcome!

engines

It all depends on what you want. Grab your self a nice Dash9-40CW for modern engine and a nice bigboy for old steamer and you will be set. THose will be a bit pricy of course!!!

Eric

Money

Just do it the way I do. I find what i want and save to get it. I am 2 months into the hobby and I have 8 engines and about 15 pieces of rolling stock and passenger cars. It is a little bit of saving and selling stuff to get it but I am getting where I want to be now.

Eric

If I were you, I'd browse around and see what other members are doing here. If you see what appeals to you you can pursue that particular aim.

Buy some Model Railroader magazines and books from a local train store.

It might be Lionel, O-scale or HO scale or ???? But either way, know what you want before plunging too deep and to fast.:)

Back