My incipient model railroad

csxgandn

View attachment 59540Hi, everyone. My name is Paul. I joined this forum months ago using the username "pmwtrain". Long story short... I am so low-tech I decided changing my username and re-joining was the easiest way to re-connect.

Some of you may remember that I am a beginner. Since joining this group I've had more questions than anything so I thought I'd share a photo of my 9'x11' layout. Benchwork is done except for an elevated section along one side which I will get to eventually (not a lot of free time lately). I am currently working on track and wiring mostly. As of yet, the track is not even fastened.

"Showing Off" hardly seems like the place for me to show such remedial work vis-à-vis the stunning craftsmanship I've seen on this forum but I didn't see a more appropriate one.

I'm sure I will soon have more questions for all of you more experienced modelers but for now I wanted to contribute a post free of the frustration a beginner often encounters :D

Paul, as long as you have the interest and time, especially to be honest with yourself about when the fun stops......you're doing really well. It's a hobby, man. Play as much as you can, but keep a few notes. Later, when you get a bit more determined and have a better sense of 'direction' about your path in the hobby, those notes will be good reminders about which direction to stick to.

There's nothing wrong with seeking and taking advice, but eventually you have to own your path. If you don't compromise too much, your interest will stay strong, and so will your motivation and skill development. For me, I wanted to master a few ways of doing things. The hobby has many methods of doing the same things. I have tried at least two of each. I won't say I have mastered any of them, but I kept up that fun-factor while teaching myself. If you can do that, you should be here a lot more often.

Enjoy!!

Welcome to the asylum! There are "modelers" and there are folks who just run trains and there are those that want it all!

I eventually would like to run trains through various "model" scenes and an industry or two but I'm not sure when I'll be done just "playing" with the darn things as I have gotten into this a little later than most! I'm in my 50's and had a "floor 4x8" for about ten minutes as a kid! I'm still catching up! Take it in small chunks and it is easily digestible, track, DCC systems, metal wheels, couplers, scenery, all in good time. If you are not going to be moving soon neither you nor the layout is going anywhere, take your time.

I am currently working on track and wiring mostly. As of yet, the track is not even fastened.
I would not get into a rush to fasten down the track. I like to run a new design as much as possible before I make it permanent. Something always comes up in the actual running where one says, "I wish I would have designed this a bit different". If you can find those places before the track is attached it is easier to change. Plus it is easier to do "what if" scenarios before track is attached.

Thanks, guys! Seems like some great advise by all of you.

Now I'm off to add a couple more feeders. This layout is truly being built in "baby steps" ;)

Back