My HO scale "Barn Layout"

I have been on here for a while but do not post much, But I thought to share what I have been working on since Nov. of 2012. This layout is HO scale. I am modeling Eire Lackawanna railroad. There is no define time line. I am leaning towards as if the where never merged into Conrail and still a railroad servicing today.

The layout is built in my 40'x80' barn. There is a old chicken coop off the main barn that is 15'x20'. When I bought the house the chicken coop was a wood shop and was already clean insulated and climate controlled. So I made it into my train room.

The layout is all Atlas Code 83 flex. The min. radius is 28" in the Helix and 30" on the layout. The hardest grade is 3.25% in the Helix and 2.5% on the layout. All switches are Peco 6 on the main and 5s in the yards. The layout is control by Digitrax.

The size is 15' across and 20' long. It is in a horse show shape. The layout has three levels. The top of the bench work is what I call Ground level. Under the table where I have a hidden track to a hidden staging area is the Lower Level. Where the track is elevated I call that my Upper Level. At both ends of the horse shoe I have a Helix that takes the track from every level to the Lower level (all levels connect and can be switched off via. the Helix). There is no point to point it would go into the helix and under the table to the other helix and back out onto the main layout. Its kinda hard to explain so I will let the pictures do most of that.

Please feel free to pick on anything you see or mite do better. I have done some small layouts but this is my first large one. I call it my "Adult Layout". And advise from seasoned modelers is more then welcome.

Pictures:
100_1125.JPG 100_1126.JPG 100_1127.JPG 100_1128.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow very cool looking layout so far. Thats a pretty decent size for the barn.

Keep us updated on the progress. You've got a lot done in what 10 months or so.

Do you have a trackplan?

Looks like quite the project. Looking forward to more pictures. I have a friend in Missouri who built his layout in a barn, It's impressive. He started it in the late 70's, and still not near complete. All of the main line is in and operational, but he has torn out a lot of scenery and towns so they can be improved. His modeling skills improved over the years and he wasn't satisfied with some areas.

Lots of luck !

I have no idea what you are talking about with the levels, but that is some mighty fine looking bench work.
Looks like a pretty good grade wood .. I think your the first I am familiar with to use 2 x 4's.
That's awesome looking!

OK ?? FOOT IN MOUTH BIG TIME.
I made my first reply based on your first 4 pictures. DUHHH!
I did not see the 2nd page of the thread.
It's still very impressive .. Carry on.

I have no idea what you are talking about with the levels, but that is some mighty fine looking bench work.
Looks like a pretty good grade wood .. I think your the first I am familiar with to use 2 x 4's.
That's awesome looking!

Yes I believe alot of people use pine bored (or in pictures it looks like them) but I am kinda on a budget. When you can pick up 2x4x10 for $3.29ea you can't go wrong.

OK ?? FOOT IN MOUTH BIG TIME.
I made my first reply based on your first 4 pictures. DUHHH!
I did not see the 2nd page of the thread.
It's still very impressive .. Carry on.

It is still confusing about the levels. when I was typing it I was confusing myself and I am the one doing it. I took a photo and adjusted it to maybe help with what I am trying to explain.
100_1125a.jpg

Painted the room and finished laying track and building the first Helix. All that is left for the first Helix is to wire the drops but have to get some barrier strips.
IMG_9477.jpg IMG_9478.jpg IMG_9479.jpg IMG_9481.jpg

Don't know why anyone would give you a hard time about what size boards you would use. After all it is your layout and not theirs.

In fact one of the better known layouts in Birmingham, doesn't use anything as mundane as 1x4's or even 2x4's. Jim used 2x6's! Said he didn't want to worry about the layout sagging. It didn't in the 40 yrs I knew him.

Back