my first weathering painting ever

dhd, Looks good!!! I liked the extra rust on the bottom. That's where most of the water will sit anyway.

The rust looks really good but what are you intentions for this car? If it's sitting in a scrap line, it's fine. If it's still in road service, you'll never see a car with that much rust, at least without some patches for the dimensional data and reporting marks. If you're weathering in-service cars, I'd go a little easier on the rust and have more of the original paint showing through.

Very good start, but I agree with Jim, you're hard pressed to find a car that rusty, some gons & boxcars do, but I doubt a reefer, ever.

I don't know guys, you can always find a prototype for everything. This photo taken 07/2007 still in service.

SOO178802_TorontoON_DougStark_2007-.jpg

I thought it may be a little rusty but I got carried away when I started to think I was getting a real looking rusting railcar. I do plan to repaint the reporting marks on the car after I finish the rusting but I first need to learn more about what all the markings represent.
Thanks for the prototype photo Jerome, I needed to see one for myself as well as the other guys. I know there are rusty cars out there, I used to see them back in Youngstown OH. when I was younger.
As far as how did I get this texture NIevo, I used acrylic washes and chalks. I painter them on with brushes and I used the airbrush in some areas.
From here I plan to do the rust on the other sides and roof then upgrade the couplers and wheels. I think I need to have some graffiti since the car has sat for so long. Rust the trucks and add grease then add the running numbers and see what it looks like then.
The next car will be less rust and more dirt only.
Thoughts,
Dave

Dave, that SOO line boxcar is a good prototype to shoot for in you next try. Most of the original paint and lettering is still intact. The rust has definite starting points on the roof and then the rust streaks tend to flow down the certain parts of the car rather then cover it. The rust was bad enough that the SOO had to do a patch job on the left for the reporting marks and dimensional data, both of which are vital for in-service cars. I'll point out again that, on rib side cars, the top surface of the ribs tend stay the cleanest and the panels between the ribs get most of the rust streaks and rust pits. This one is probably near the worst rust bucket box car you'll see that's still in service

That is more like I should have mine looking but I made a big mistake at the beginning. I did a wash with alcohol and that removed almost all the decals from the car and that's why I ended up going for such a rusted look. Being my first rust job and all I did learn much from it and I hope my next car isn't so rusty. But it is fun doing a car that looks so bad.

Okay, I must say I'm getting tired of this old rust bucket and I’m ready to move on to the next project. I would like to get feedback from everyone and know what I can look at doing to improve (besides work closer to a prototype). I still plan on covering with a cote of Dullcote but before I do that I wanted to hear from all.
Thanks for the input and onward we go. The images are located http://members.cox.net/dave.demeny/weatherProj1.shtml

rbDHD

Very much better job indeed. :) The rust looks really good as does the patch job. The only thing I'd do is kind of a phase 2 weathering now. Cars that old don't just get rust, the also get grime and dirt. The upper surfaces tend to show the most rust while the lower surfaces show the most grime and dirt thrown up from the roadbed while the car is in motion. Try some light grey and brown chalks along the bottom sill, especially in the areas where the truck wheels would have thrown up the most crud on the car. It adds some variety to the the rusted look.

Very much better job indeed. :) The rust looks really good as does the patch job. The only thing I'd do is kind of a phase 2 weathering now. Cars that old don't just get rust, the also get grime and dirt. The upper surfaces tend to show the most rust while the lower surfaces show the most grime and dirt thrown up from the roadbed while the car is in motion. Try some light grey and brown chalks along the bottom sill, especially in the areas where the truck wheels would have thrown up the most crud on the car. It adds some variety to the the rusted look.

I planned on doing a layer of dirt from the bottom and some rust over the patchwork with the running info. Before I do that I wanted feedback on what is done thus far. I'm going to do those last few items and rap this car up. I need to more on with my next learning car. I've started a tanker and a PRR boxer.
rbDHD

Back