My first roll of rail fan slides.

jphendren

Yesterday, I picked up my first roll of slides that I have taken of trains related subjects. These were taken on Fujichrome Velvia 50 slide film, which is my favorite for tripod mounted landscapes. Here is the first that I have scanned and prepared for the web. As I am new to this, I am still not quite sure what makes a great train/railroad photo, so please tell me what you think. More images to follow.

Jared

4389575271_3ea23cc1b0_o.jpg

Here is another that was taken in Valley Yard (I believe is the correct name). This is one of the better places to observe trains in the Las Vegas valley, if you can obtain permission.

Jared

4389667833_e365df2aa9_o.jpg

Hi Jared,
looks good mostly, but it seems you doing this on profesional level, so i'll throw couple darts. what bothers me the most is the unlit, shady side . i understand you have just so much control over the situation and perhaps the other side of the tracks was off limits but i wish the light came from behind you, or at least more from the right to light that side. also i don't think i like that pole on the left to much.

EDIT:
second picture didn't grab my attention, i'm going to refrain from commenting. no offense plz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello tankist,

No offense taken, and thanks for taking the time to comment. So having the shady side if the train toward you is no good? I am an experienced landscape photographer, but only recently became interested in photographing trains, so have no idea what is looked for in a good train image.

As far as the lower image is concerned, it was shot at approximately 1:00 PM, so the light is flat and harsh. This time of day is completely avoided in landscape phototgraphy due to these reasons.

Jared

i didn't say "no good" :) you are a photographer, and you trying to accomplish specific results. all i'm saying is that i would rather want to see that side well lit on that picture. perhaps i'm somewhat failing to see what it is you trying to say there. i do like the sharp, well lit face however

jp, I agree with tank on the lighting. It would be better to view the subjects in the light, not the shade.

That being said, still cool pictures.......

Jared,

The same basic rules apply in railfan photography as in landscape photography.
Lighting and Composition.
Except for the lighting, your first shot is very good. Granted, sometimes the only way you can control the lighting is come back at a different time. :)

Dan

LL, a great website to go to is www.rrpicturearchives.net You can view pictures by ratings. That should give you a pretty good idea of what is considered "good". I might add that I like both photos. In the first photo I like the contrast between the bright nose and the shadowed side. It makes you focus on the front of the locomotive. Just my $.02

Edit: I like what is happening in your second photo. The locos look like they were staged just for you. If the lighting was brighter it would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
where in gods name are you getting slide film developed? A friend of mine has 5 rolls he needs tog et devloped and he can't find a place that can do it.

Back