My First Locomotive

I would suggest finding a locomotive that's DCC and sound equipped since it's your first. Fewer headaches. Then as you get more experienced you can go the pick and choose route...

I found one that will work and the instruction how to install. Probably will take your advice even though we were really wanting a mopac.

How big is your layout?

If your layout is not that big (i.e. not filling an entire room) then have you considered under layout sound?

I have two Kato SD40-2 locomotives fitted with MRC sound decoders, and the sound from them is well, umm, rather tinny, and after a while I find it somewhat annoying, and I often turn the sound off.. With such a small speaker you don't get the full rumble sound of a locomotive, just a high pitched whine...

SO, what I plan to do is install "under the layout sound" on my 3 metre x 1 metre layout using a MRC HO scale sound only decoders and some PC speakers.. To make it work, I will either just give the sound decoder the same address (road number) as the locomotive that I plan to use OR give the sound decoder its own unique address, and then do a basic or advance consist the sound decoder with the locomotive I want to have sound..

MRC sound only decoder.. http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/MRC-HO-1909-16-Bit-Diesel-Sounder-p/mrc-1909.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
My layout is 11 by 6, L shape. You can see it on another thread I started a few weeks ago. If you are referring to something like I seen on soundtraxx that is a lot of money. I would need to see and hear something like that firsthand before jumping into something like that bu tthanks for sharing the thought.

Back