my first layout

unkaboose

started my first ho layout, its a santa fe line called the UKB sante fe. its in the beginning stages and will post pics when i have something worth looking at, laid ez track as its what i had but will be putting in a 2nd line with flex because the ez track wont hug the first track on curves this line will be for passenger train. i have no idea what im doing lol but im trying as finances allow. i think it will be DC to start for awhile

Don't hesitate to ask questions. I'm sure that someone on the forum can help you if you need it. Good luck and enjoy.

built my mountain but still needs painting and detail work, eventually the layout will extend another 4 feet as money allows. my question is, is my mountain to big for layout size ? get-attachment (6).jpgget-attachment (7).jpg, my wife called it a coffin

Mountains are never too big. I am glad you are posting your build progress!!

One thing I wanted to mention, can't remember if I said this before but there does have to be some space between the tracks at the curves or the cars will bump in to each other, especially longer ones like passenger cars.

yes if you look at pic to left and look on left side of pic youll see a straight section and the gap between it and mainline was what i was planning. i have flex track and roadbed being shipped to me and when i put it down ill post another pic for a view of gap and ideas. its just a beggining point for me, when i extend layout 4 feet in the future ill have more to work with.

ok im getting ready to do flex track on curves and ive never done this before so tell me if im right on this. first i join the flex track and lay it on the curve with the sliding rail on inside, once i cut rails that extend past the other one then i lay the track out straight and solder joints. if this is wrong please put this in dummy terms for me and thanks

I had the best results when staggering my joins, even to the extent of getting a couple ties inbetween:

flex track on curves.png

I used just the joiners to connect the track but I think soldering after they are in place might work the best. Also, make sure they line up good and I like a very small space like about 1/16" between the rails somewhere on the track, doesn't have to be the curves.

Also, I use a small brad as a spike which I put in the ties to hold everything. I pre drill this all the way into the plywood so the brad fits very tightly and I can force it in without pounding. I found I can pull these out with a needlenose. I think commonly caulk is used to attach the (ties) rails to the roadbed.

ok so i got the flex layed and soldered but apparently i have a kink in 1 joint that is derailing my engine and tossing light rolling stock, im a little stumped on how to correct this.

How are your ties attached, and is there cork? I used a spike on the outside of the kink to push the rail in the proper direction a small amount. It would be helpful if you would attach a photo.

get-attachment (8).jpgheres the kink on inside rail, outside rail seems to flow smooth but inside rail kicks wheels on outside rail toward the outside. and they are soldered and track is spiked to cork roadbed. im wondering if i cut inside rail to long and its pushing out

Thanks for keeping track of your thread, I would have suggested staggering the joins by cutting the each rail different lengths, I guess I didn't come across with that very well in the other post.

Do you have a drill? I use the exact same brad as in your picture and drill a little hole in the tie on each side of the join and push the nail into it, the hole has to be just slightly smaller than the nail so it is really tight, to keep the track where I want it.

Otherwise, try putting the nail up right next to the tie or rail, on the OUTSIDE of the outer track, so when it goes in it presses the track over a little.

Let us know.

ok i got the kink straightened out by reheating solder joint and moving rail with pliers and holding in place till solder cooled, my 12 wheel loco still twitches funny there but doesnt jump track on high speed, 8 whell locos run smoothly. this is a pic of gap i left between lines to allow for turns and tunnel clearence. get-attachment (9).jpgstraight runs are ez track and curves are flex track

I would take a real close look at where it twitches. There could be some solder that has gotten on the inside of the rails or there is some that has built up on top of the rails as well. This is easily corrected with a small file. Use the fingernail test. Run a fingernail along the top of the rail and along the inside of the rail. If the nail hangs up, use a file to smooth the joint even more.

updated pic of layout, my wife even complimented me and she never does that lol, eventually ill take it 4 feet to right but its a start for now. still have more to do before its finishedget-attachment (13).jpg

Back