My first attempt at weathering

well my first attempt on trains anyways. I still got alot to learn, on this gondola i just used some paint and a rusting solution.

This was a old tyco/mantua gondola car, i think it looks much better now:D . As ya can see im not done. I still need to do the interior, some more work on the trucks and fill it with a bunch of crap.

also need to do a shot of dullcoat to seal it off, but need to order some in.

thanks for looking.

DSC01089_edited.png

DSC01091_edited.png

DSC01092_edited.png

one thing i gotta say though to me it looks better in the pics then in person LOL.

Well, depending on the look you're trying to achieve, it's either excellent or you need to try again. If this is supposed to be a gondola that does nothing but move scrap around a large scrap yard, it's excellent. If it's supposed to be a gondola that's in mainline service, it's way over done. It's rare to see an in-service car that's so completely rusted that there's no hint of the paint scheme and especially no reporting marks or data visible. Trucks, while usually having some rust around the springs and journals, are usually just dirty otherwise. You have the rust look down fine, you just need to lighten up the rusting by about 50% and confine to to place where moisture is likely to collect like the sides of the ribs and the bottom sill.

thanks for your info there about keeping major rust to confined spaces.
But you guessed it correctly as far as the look its just a gondola that will be for scrap in a scrap yard that may go to other local places to pick up scrap also.

The rust solution you use is Ideal on the INSIDE of gondolas...but not on the outsude. I'd also not melt the edges of the gon with your solderingiron, as it doesn't look like dented metal, it looks like you melted plastic with your soldering iron.. I would suggest buying medium orange and dark brown paint, mizing it together, than stippling the surface of where you want the rust to occur with a soft brush.

I agree with mileswestern about using the rusting solution on the inside of the gon. It is too extreme for the outside, unless you are trying to model an abandoned rusted hulk next to the right of way.

You may want to check out www.modeltrainsweathered.com for weathering tips and tricks. The folks over there do amazing stuff!

Back