My adventures in Ho Scale.

SLOW PROGRESS.JPG

In high school we would cruise up and down the street in front blaring this on the last day!

And this:

It really wasnt a tradition since I only had a drivers licence for 2 years in H.S. :D
I was shown this movie first time in America when i was 11. Although i didn't understand the language at the time, being an artist at heart (sometimes a bull💩 artist), it deffinitely struck a cord. I was able to relate in several scenes.

I started laying out the grain elevator area. I have the riser blocks and plywood all cut for the area the elevator is going to sit on. Before I can go any further, I need to know kind of where this building will sit, and where my arrival track will have to come in at. The plan Is to have 1-loading track and 2-storage tracks.

Here is the start of the Walthers ADM elevator kit. The plan is to have 3 more silo add on kits to make this a sizeable facility.

1717944819357.png

More to follow as it develops!

I started laying out the grain elevator area. I have the riser blocks and plywood all cut for the area the elevator is going to sit on. Before I can go any further, I need to know kind of where this building will sit, and where my arrival track will have to come in at. The plan Is to have 1-loading track and 2-storage tracks.

Here is the start of the Walthers ADM elevator kit. The plan is to have 3 more silo add on kits to make this a sizeable facility.

View attachment 191410

More to follow as it develops!
I only had the one when I did mine, but are you adding two silo kits back to back, so you'll have two large silo units, not four smaller ones.

I only had the one when I did mine, but are you adding two silo kits back to back, so you'll have two large silo units, not four smaller ones.
Yea! I'm still mulling the arrangement. I thought originally about maybe have 4 silos on one side and 12 silos on the other.

But maybe putting the building in the middle would be more visually pleasing?

I'm still a ways away from that though :D

Yea! I'm still mulling the arrangement. I thought originally about maybe have 4 silos on one side and 12 silos on the other.

But maybe putting the building in the middle would be more visually pleasing?

I'm still a ways away from that though :D
Most silos would be on one side, simply because having them either side of a road or track would cost extra to build, as well as all the extra pipework needed to get the grain in and out of them, but would this work perhaps ?

1717952518483.png

I completed the shell for the grain elevator. This is as far as I will take it for now. It gives me enough to do my mock-up placement. It still needs some putty, sanding, primer before the roofs and windows go in at a later time. I can now lock down the plywood and wood riser blocks.

Don't think I'm going to use the backside truck loading shed also included in this kit. It will buy me several inches more space to other things. Plus, now I have it to use somewhere else. :D

This was a really enjoyable kit to put together!

IMG_1142.jpeg

IMG_1143.jpeg

I completed the shell for the grain elevator. This is as far as I will take it for now. It gives me enough to do my mock-up placement. It still needs some putty, sanding, primer before the roofs and windows go in at a later time. I can now lock down the plywood and wood riser blocks.

Don't think I'm going to use the backside truck loading shed also included in this kit. It will buy me several inches more space to other things. Plus, now I have it to use somewhere else. :D

This was a really enjoyable kit to put together!

View attachment 191526

View attachment 191527
Mike, are you adding some lighting to the building ?

Chris - I also have this structure. My lighting experience is only a single light in the loading bay. In order to use lights in the main structure, you have to paint the interior black or another dark color; since the walls are thin enough to allow a lot of "bleed-thru" light.
Ah! OK, I have the other version of this, on those the walls are thick enough not to need any interior painting.

Mike, are you adding some lighting to the building ?
As Willie has pointed out, this building would be difficult to light, but not impossible. Yes, it would have to be painted a very dark color with many coats and a bead of black silicon down all the seams. If I were to light it eventually I would build individual light boxes for single, or groups of windows and use tiny LEDs.

This is one of the reasons roof panels and windows are left off and weren't added. I only needed the basic structure to mock-up where the tracks were going to land. It still needs sanded and painted. A whole lot easier when no windows are in it! :D

A friend combined a few kits as your planning to do and has interior and exterior lighting but not hooked up right now. It’s a truly impressive structure, can’t wait to see yours done!

View attachment 191636
All I can say is, Holy crap!!!! That is an impressive elevator!!!!

Those aren't the kit silos are they? They look to be scratch built and slightly taller than the kit silos. Though the contours of the top and bottom match the Walthers kit parts perfectly down to the slight overhang at the top, and the flush bottom pad.

I love the added walkways and bigger dust collectors on the front.

Thanks for sharing that, gives me some ideas on what to add to detail it up more.

Yeah you’re right they look taller don’t they, but I think they match the position between the third and fourth row of windows in your picture.
I believe it’s the Walthers elevator kit with two add on silo kits.

Back