My 4x8 ft table layout im CURRENTLY working on

Progress as of 2/12/2013 ! I took down all of my bachmann EZ track due to it taking up SOOOOOOOO MUCH space on my table . So now i have my "vintage " Life Like HO code 100 track .

History of code 100 HO track of mine :

I have had this track since i was a KID back in the 1980s ! When i first made this layout plan .. Track wouldnt work at ALL . So i took some sandpaper 100 grit medium and some rubbing alcohol to it .. and now its like the track is NEW all over again .

So yes this layout does work . NO im not planning on using that UGLY roadbed stuff that they make lol , im gonna leave the track like it is and then fill in with woodland scenics BALLAST FINE mix . And im gonna just put it on to the table LOOSE ... Theres no way to glue ROCKS down to a table as far as i know . Plus im ready to run this train haha .

Eventually i will have a train yard on one side and the rest will function sorta like a mainline around the outside .

Heres a short video i made as a "tour "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlg5ijJD_cU

Progress as of 2/12/2013 ! I took down all of my bachmann EZ track
YEAY!

History of code 100 HO track of mine :..... Track wouldnt work at ALL . So i took some sandpaper 100 grit medium and some rubbing alcohol to it .. and now its like the track is NEW all over again .
Yes, that will work for a while, but I am afraid you will find the process will have to be repeated sooner or later. Sand paper puts small scratches in the top of the rail that get dirty quicker. I might suggest using a much finer grit more like 400 or greater. When I resort to sand paper I use 1200.

im gonna leave the track like it is and then fill in with woodland scenics BALLAST FINE mix . And im gonna just put it on to the table LOOSE ... Theres no way to glue ROCKS down to a table as far as i know .
Diluted white glue. Get the ballast rocks arranged like you want. Get an eye dropper of the watery glue and apply a drop along the edge. Capillary action will suck the glue in and keep those rocks in place. One drop every inch or so on both sides is often enough. Otherwise I'm afraid that ballast will migrate all over and even suck up into the gears of locomotives and wheels of rolling stock.

Heres a short video i made as a "tour "
Unfortunately I don't "do" videos unless I go to a special machine, so I can't see it. But I'm certain it is great.

thanks ironhorse ! I will have to try that glue solution if i do indeed decide to do the ballast process like i had described =) Im still out to lunch on what i REALLY want to do at this point . that was just a thought that i had pop into my head , if you know what i mean ?

Back