MTH New release for 2014

holshot14

First off I'm not a fan of MTH at all. Of my 26 locos, only 2 are MTH. I bought 2 of the 70ACe's before I knew what I know now. BUT..... Digging into the newsletter that shows off their current projects of a Dash9W and ES44. WOW, the pre production detail photos, are in my opinion, top notch. If they can get the paint to match the detail, they will be hands down top tier models.

http://www.mthtrains.com/news/525

Just my thoughts.

Oh ya very nice indeed. I like MTH locos. I have 2 steam, and 4 SD70Aces and all of them have been perfect for me.

Looks like I will be getting some of these too.

my 2-8-2 caught fire,my big boy eats
dogboys& my berk smokes out the bottom, yes owning. MTH is like being in an abusive relationship with a beautiful women ,i kee
p letting THAT MTH bitch back into my life .lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always thought that the Dash9W's and the ES44's were the coolest looking freight locos on the rails, especially in CSX, BNSF, UP, and NS paint. I love MTH so I will definitely be getting one. But before that I will be getting the new challenger in the UP two tone grey and yellow stripe passenger scheme. I prefer steam passenger over steam freight. I am hopping to have it before Christmas. as far as I am concerned, MTH is the top of the line. My coast daylight is made of MTH cars headed by an MTH GS-4. It has been flawless for me. I definitely will be getting more MTH steamers.

Best regards,
Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be getting the new challenger in the UP two tone grey and yellow stripe passenger scheme. I prefer steam passenger over steam freight. I am hopping to have it before Christmas. as far as I am concerned, MTH is the top of the line. My coast daylight is made of MTH cars headed by an MTH GS-4. It has been flawless for me. I definitely will be getting more MTH steamers.

Best regards,
Jim

See, my MTH GS6 has been nothing but a huge PIA for me. I just gave up. I have narrowed it down to the new drawbar lifting the back of the loco off the track. I might revisit it one day. As far as my other stuff, with the exception of an occasional dogbone in the Big Boy's most of it runs flawlessly. The Mike did have an issue in the connecting rod crank but nothing a little solder, filing, and TLC couldn't fix. It is a champ now. Pulls 55-60 cars at club.

G'day from Australia...I'm torn on MTH....First off I hated the one I bought because I couldn't get the bloody thing to go DCC no matter what I did...Took ages , via several re programming go's but eventually she fired up...It's a beaut runner...tons of tractive effort , heavy as sin...but if they're so difficult to re programme I'm not sure how often I want to buy....My Athearns , Intermountains and BLI's not much trouble at all in comparison..... Cheers Rod..

Unless there are railroad specific differences between the MRL SD70ACe's and the other roads, then the MTH's fall far short in the detail dept compared to Genesis. They score in the weight stakes though considerably.

G'day Tootnkumin....Very true ...I have three AG SD70 ACe's soon a fourth , bought on EBAY last week...also Genesis but not sound....detail is terrific on the AGs but I really don't mind the MTH too much...Geez it pulls amazing though... No joke ..I had it on my friend's fairly substantial layout a couple of months ago on three speed steps..He had a turned off locomotive on same track on his gradient and we forgot the MTH was still moving..We looked around and realised it was pushing the non powered SD 40 model uphill at 3 steps and easily too..All we had it on the track for was to set up the functions better...We hooked up his coal cars all 26 0f them later in the day and at 10 steps she was pulling them easily...I reckon it'd have to do 35-40 on that...I can't believe the weight though..so heavy...but the down side is programming...she's a bitch and takes ages to sort out. even via the awesome NCE Powercab but at least it can be done.. Cheers Rod...

I've never had these programming problems that you've had. That's really interesting. I agree though, MTH has serious pulling power. One of my steamers (I don't remember which) won an unintentional game of tug o' war. She pulled a MU consist of three SD40's out of the yard before I noticed.

Best regards,
Jim

G'day Jim....Yes , the tractive effort is amazing , Paul , my friend was literally shocked at how easy it pushed the unpowered loco up a pretty decent gradient at such low speed steps...then pulled 26 coal wagons so easy...My issues with programming was due to it being stuck in DCS memory and it took many attempts to finally discharge the memory. Once we'd sorted that out the functions list didn't match up with the book either or lots of CV values...running pretty well how I want it now so long as I don't want to change it too often but my Athearns are 1000% easier to deal with..but my sole MTH sure does pull well...Don't know how easy consisting it will be... Cheers Rod...

I have four of the first release Big Boys (4005, 4006, 4014, 4017) and Challenger 3985. Still on the hunt for 4012. I've always been happy with them and never felt I paid too much... although I won't admit how much 3985 cost me. To my eyes, they look great. To my ears, they sound far better than Tsunami. I'm not a DCC fanatic who feels it necessary to reprogram every single CV, so for me, they perform flawlessly in a DCC environment. All that being said, I was eager to order a couple new ones when they were announced in 2010 (4005 and 4013). Three agonizingly long years later, my 4005 arrived last week. What a complete 180! Lots of changes (mostly in production) resulting in lots of disappointment as a consumer. First, the new Big Boy releases just don't snap like the old ones fresh out of the box. The black finish has more of a dull matte-like appearance than the older ones. If you argue that prototypical UP steam isn't shiny in the first place, then you have never seen 844 or 3985 in person. Looking closely, the actual paint itself seems cheap on the new Big Boy. It looks and feels like it was applied using a can of Krylon spray paint. There were several small pieces of piping where the paint had already flaked off near corners and bends thus exposing bare metal. Cheap. The brass pieces along the top of the boiler, such as the whistle, are not finished in a bright, shiny, polished brass paint. Mine were a dull yellowish color as if painted as an afterthought. Same for the bell. The inside of the bell was not painted red, either. An important, but missed detail. As for the piping and grab irons, most were bent or otherwise misshapen. Not a big deal as this is not uncommon during shipping and I was able to bend most parts back into shape. The deck plate was detached and floating loose in the box. Easily reattached, though. The couplers are already installed on the tender and locomotive and my 4005 did not come with a dummy prototype coupler for the front of the loco. The product description on their web site says the Big Boys come with two prototype couplers, but mine had none at all. After feeling disappointed by the overall appearance of the Big boy straight out of the box, it was time for redemption... run it on the layout. First thing to note, MTH has changed the drawbar assembly. Nothing like the previous release. It's basically a flimsy piece of plastic with three-pin connections on each end. The only way to firmly seat the connection to the tender is turn the loco and tender on their side (off track) and connect the pieces. I tried with the loco and tender on the track, but I could not get the fittings to connect securely. I thought it was much easier and much cleaner in appearance the old way. The previous releases also allowed for choosing between long or short draw bar on the same bar. Now, the long draw bar is pre-installed. A short drawbar is included in the packaging. Some disassembly/reassembly is required to switch. The upside is that on the loco end, the wiring connects to the draw bar via three-pin fittings. Much better than the old solder method which was prone to disconnecting in a slight breeze. Once assembled, I applied track power. Nothing. I removed the loco and tender and did a quick troubleshoot on the layout. Clean. No shorts. 12.4 volts. Other MTH locos and Athearn locos ran just fine. New Big Boy back on the layout. Nothing. I'm no stranger to MTH. Yes. I tried everything I could think of and everything that MTH suggests. Nothing. I removed the boiler and tested the boiler board. Dead. Needless to say, at this point I was already beyond aggravated. I contacted my dealer and he agreed to take it back, no questions. I asked him if someone had messed with the loco before he shipped it. He assured me it went straight from his crate into the box he shipped to me. He has offered to send me a replacement, but agreed to take it back as well if it turns out to be the same disappointment. Seems to me that MTH has made some fatal production changes. Despite the significantly higher price point, the quality has suffered. Aesthetically, the Big Boys, at least the 4005 I received, are not the same impressive beasts they were as with the first release. Even after a three-year wait, the damned thing looked like it was rushed through the line using inferior parts and finishes. Oh, and they no longer provide a comprehensive Owner's Manual/Engineer's Manual or a warranty card. You get only a condensed, general quick start guide to MTH steam and a large, foldout advertisement for DCS. If you want a complete manual or a warranty card, you have to go to the web site and print it off yourself. Cheap. I'm all for product loyalty, but this experience has soured me.

All that said, after 4005 was on its way back to the dealer, my other MTH Big Boys returned to service and I had a pleasant operating session with no problems at all. Done ranting now. Jason in Colorado

Wow, interesting read there Jason. I have not heard these problems with the MTH Big Boy and Challengers. I have the first run Challenger, and its great, just like you said.

I was contemplating getting the new Challenger. But after I read all your bad experience, now I'm thinking about avoiding MTH all together and get the Athearn Challenger.

If I'm paying $600 for a locomotive, and they don't even bother to give you a full manual. You must be joking! Price goes up, quality goes down. Unfortunate, this is happening more and more in this hobby. Thanks to CHINA. Need I say more.

China only does what they consistently get rewarded/compensated for supplying their clients, Michael. If you specify a weak can motor, why should the supplyer be 'nice guys' and put a more expensive or more powerful model...just 'cause? So, I don't blame the Chinese. I blame the importer, whether it was BLI in their hellish years just gone by or now MTH. MTH is passing off to its loyal customers, who often pay a premium for the goods just for MTH's name, crud that BLI was scourged for between 2009 and 2011.

Back