MT couplers on old Life-Like rolling stock?

ereuter

I have some old life-like rolling stock, and I'm wondering what the appropriate upgrade is for MT couplers? Do I have to replace the whole truck? I find the conversion table very cryptic as a newcomer.

N scale.

Thanks,
Eric

Bump. Can anyone offer advice on this?

I need low-profile wheels, as I'm using code 55 track. Should just keep my trucks and replace the wheelsets and go with body-mounted MTL couplers?

Any info would help.

Thanks

Depending on how tight your radius is body mounts can be an option but usually the simpliest is to just replace the whole truck/coupler assembly. You get a better running truck and don't have to mess with assembling couplers. MT's aren't code 55 ok out of the package but you can buy either metal wheels from Fox Valley Models to replace them or buy MT's own low profile wheels to replace the stock pizza cutters. Personally I've been replacing everything with the FVM metal wheels and love the looks, function and sounds.

glad someone posted about this. I have an old bachman PRR 250 ton crane that i will use as MOW set on my future layout. But the low side gondolas i have use the old plastic trucks, plastic wheels and have the horn hook couplers attached to the trucks. what are my options for replacing that so i can run kadee #5's or 158s'?

Eric,

The easiest way to upgrade to MT couplers is to replace the trucks with either the Bettendorf(489-302026) or Roller Bearing trucks(489-302046 or 489-489-302047). The numbers I referenced come with low profile wheels. If you have to use another MT truck that comes with the deep flanges, you can use Atlas low profile wheelsets (150-22136).

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the advice. In the photos on the MTL site, it looks as though the coupler sticks up quite a bit from the truck. The rapidos on my cars aren't like that. Are there ever clearance issues?

I'll order a couple of sets and give it a try.

Eric

Back