MRC Sound Decoder help! SP MP15

meanjean

I put an MRC 1804 sound decoder in my MP15.
The directions say there are 7 bells, 15 horns, 2 engine types so on and so on. How do I find a list of what those horns and bells are? Do I have to sit and go through each one and guess if its the correct one for the loco?

Its an SP loco if that may help. Other then not knowing what sounds to use the decoder works great. It could be louder but hey, what should I expect from such a tiny speaker?
Chad

I have several of those decoders, I just kept changing the CV until I got a horn and bell I thought was right for the engine it was in. The sucky part is, they don't read back. you have to remember where you are in the process of elimination.

Go to the Athearn web site and look up the Genisis F units with sound. The have a PDF with a chart of all the CV's for things like horns and bells. They don't have samples of the sounds but I've found that the large number of horn and bell selections are really useless since most of them sound awful. A value of 2 in CV 50 is the only one that sounds like an EMD horn. A value of 4 in CV 52 sounds pretty much like an air operated bell, ringing at the right rate. The engine type doesn't really mater since both sound pretty much alike bit you can give both of them a try and see if you like one better. MRC sound decoders are really poor in terms of sound reproduction regardless of the speaker size. I have an MP15 and tried all 15 horns and only one didn't sound like a bleating sheep. :)

I bought my SP MP-15 without sound, but later ran across a SOO bandit MP-15 with sound in a non sound box with a non sound price. Bought it. WTH, a free sound system right? Well I got what I paid for.:D Not to dis your loco, and if you just want some sound it will suffice. Mine is adequate for what I wanted it for. I just kept trying different horns & bells until I found ones that suited me and ones the Milwaukee/Soo modelers in the club siad was close enough. I would not buy any aftermarket MRC sound decoders, but I have too many other locos I want sound in to just chuck a perfectly good sound unit, even if the quality is marginal! Use it until/if you decide you want to replace it!

Back