MRC Prodigy Express

Joe G

Anyone have experience with the MRC Prodigy Express. It looks like a good starter set to use on a small layout.

For $30 more I would recommend NCE Power cab. I got mine at model train stuff for $149. Easy to use, user friendly, handheld cab and will work with JMRI if you decide to do this in the future. Mine will run 3 sound engines at a time in HO scale. I will let the Zephyr guys chime in with their suggestions.
-Art

For $30 more I would recommend NCE Power cab. I got mine at model train stuff for $149. Easy to use, user friendly, handheld cab and will work with JMRI if you decide to do this in the future. Mine will run 3 sound engines at a time in HO scale. I will let the Zephyr guys chime in with their suggestions.
-Art

Thanks Art, the Prodigy Express I saw was priced at about $200. If you have any, how do you operate your DC locomotives?

Joe

You can pick up a power cab for way less than 200 dollars, probably less than 150. I picked mine up off of ebay for 115.:D

After my last post I found the Prodigy Express for $125 on a website, so I will shop and will take a look at the Power Cab.

Joe:)

Thanks Art, the Prodigy Express I saw was priced at about $200. If you have any, how do you operate your DC locomotives?

Joe

Joe,
I don't have any DC engines anymore. I converted all mine over to DCC and sound. I have about 7 engines with Digitrax SDH164d decoders and include sound for about $39 each. Not the sound quality of a Tsunami but better than no sound at all plus all the benefits of DCC. If i want quiet running I hit the mute button. I got a PR3 programmer so I can customize my sound projects to anything I want ($68 at model train stuff). I just got an Athearn U50 and am waiting for my QSI stereo titan sound decoder to see what I have been missing with my cheap sound decoders. Best of luck Joe. Once you have DCC you will never want to go back. BTW you gotta learn to shop more. $200 is MSRP for the Prodigy Express they frequently sell for about $120. The $80 you save can be spent on 2 cheap decoders. If you bargain hunt the internet your fleet will all digital in no time.
-Art

Art, I found the Prodigy and some other systems cheaper on the net. I also went to the Train World site and saw some good deals in their flyer. As a former Brooklyn native and after working not too far from the McDonald Ave store for 30+yrs, I'm amazed that I never went into the store. If I remember correctly, Train World was strictly a Lionel store which I thought did not cater to HO. Anyway at that time I was out of the hobby and did not have the time nor the money to play.

Joe:)

I've used the NCE Power Cab, and while it operates similar to the bigger NCE systems, it does have on major downfall...the handheld MUST remain plugged in for the layout to operate. With the MRC system, you can unplug the throttle and walk around to the next location to plug in. The MRC throttle will also remember your locos (up to 5 on reset) when the power goes off. Neither system, that I am aware of, will power up locomotives when you turn the system on, you still must do that manually.

To answer your question; the MRC Prodigy Express was my first DCC system, and while I have upgraded to the Wireless unit, I am still satisfied with the old express system, and it's been running great for three or four years now.

My locos power up when my power cab is plugged in. I allmost went with the MRC system but found a good deal on the NCE. I can upgrade to a five amp system for about 150 or less with the smart booster. Its been awhile since i did all my reading up on the MRC, but i dont think it has the upgrade options that the NCE system does. Either way i think you will be happy. Im not sure how much this will matter to you, but the NCE power cab has 2 amps of power and the MRC express has 1.6

Thanks for everyones input, also considering Digitrax and I may wait until after the holidays to make that purchase. I just purchased the Walthers PRR Bwy Ltd Observation and a Jersey Central coach kit. Need to stay under the radar this month, don't want to upset the queen.

Joe

The most significant reply made here was the one about interfacing with JMRI. Last I knew, MRC refused to release the necessary information to allow interfacing with JMRI, for one. If you have any intention of using DecodePro to manage your loco fleet decoders, or have any interest in JMRI for layout automation, I'd pick something else. I tend to avoid manufacturers who insist on remaining closed and proprietary.

I've got both an NCE PowerCab and a Digitrax Super Chief. Both are excellent systems and work well with JMRI and other software.

Digitrax makes some awesome DCC systems, and are expandable. They do have in initial learning curve with programming, but once you get past that, you'll be doing whatever you please in minutes!

I use the Prodigy Express, and loved it. I noticed I had less Sound issues than other people with different systems. I'm happy with it.

Back