MRC N Scale Sound Decoders

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
MRC #1960 N Scale DCC Drop-in 1.0 Amp 28 Function 16-Bit Sound Decoder for Kato

According to MRC, these are a simple drop in replacement decoder, with on board speaker, for the Kato Lighting Board and they fit the Kato ES44AC engines. That is all well and good but was wondering about the following:

Has anyone installed one of these decoders, if so what do you think of them?
Has anyone installed any MRC Sound Decoder and if so, what are they like?
Has anyone had any "bad experiences" with an MRC Decoder?
Are they a reliable decoder?
How does the sound compare to other sound decoders?

If I go ahead and buy this decoder, it will be my first sound decoder install so want to make sure that I am not wasting my money on a questionable decoder. It will also be the first NON TCS decoder I will be installing.

Tony, I have used quite a few MRC sound decoders, and in fact still have one remaining in an HO switcher. I've installed more than my share in both N and HO engines. They are relatively easy to install, which is not bad, considering most of them have to be replaced several times before getting a good one.
They are not well regarded, and most people only use them until they find something better. I remember they do not play well with other brands of decoders, and resist advanced consisting.
An MRC sound decoder is what caught fire several years ago on the club layout, when it was subjected to more voltage than it should have been. Rather than shutting down, it burned up. I still have the scorched frame as a reminder.

Terry,

Thanks mate, so the bottom line. from your experience with them. is "don't waste my money or time" on them. I really wish TCS made sound for N Scale. As they don't, or not from what I have seen, which sound decoder would you recommend other than Digitrax?

If you have the room, a Loksound Micro would be a good choice. It has a lot better motor control, and better available sounds. It also does really well with advanced consisting, and plays well with most major other decoder brands.

Thanks Terry, I'll take a look at them.

They look nice but are all plug in decoders, from the looks. How do you install them? If I am unable to, would you consider doing the install for me - for a price of course :)

Last edited:
I installed a LokSound Micro Select in my FEF-3. It was a complex install as I added firebox flicker light, MARS light up front, etc. I also have the Lokprogrammer which allows for a bunch more function changes. I like the end result and would recommend the LokSound decoders.

Tony, I could do it. It's not as hard as it looks. Red and black wires are left and right rails, orange and grey are motor leads, and blue/yellow/white are lights. Two brown wires are for the speaker.

Thanks guys and Terry, it isn't so much the wiring that concerns me as I think I can handle that okay, it is having to make alterations to the engine frame to get the decoder and speaker to fit properly that worries me a bit.

Thanks Terry for the willingness to do the install for me. What I might do is get the stuff that is needed and then take a look at the instructions etc and go from there. If I think I will screw something up, I'll give you a buzz and send everything to you for a proper install.

MRC #1960 N Scale DCC Drop-in 1.0 Amp 28 Function 16-Bit Sound Decoder for Kato

According to MRC, these are a simple drop in replacement decoder, with on board speaker, for the Kato Lighting Board and they fit the Kato ES44AC engines. That is all well and good but was wondering about the following:

Has anyone installed one of these decoders, if so what do you think of them?
Has anyone installed any MRC Sound Decoder and if so, what are they like?
Has anyone had any "bad experiences" with an MRC Decoder?
Are they a reliable decoder?
How does the sound compare to other sound decoders?

If I go ahead and buy this decoder, it will be my first sound decoder install so want to make sure that I am not wasting my money on a questionable decoder.
I cannot speak for any of the current production decoders. All of my experience is with the original MRC "Brilliance" line, but they left such a bad taste in my mouth I've not been able to bring myself to purchase one again. Once again the old ones were:
0. they were hard if not impossible to program. I had one in a loco where I took it new out of the box, I called up channel 3. Moved it to the programming track. Programmed it for a different channel. That loco has never turned a wheel since. I tried resetting with every method and DCC brand system there is.
1. Of general poor quality - many failed in the first month of use.
2. They were hard to program.
3. The sound quality was marginal at best.
4. They are hard to program.
5. We joked they had three volumes Loud, outrageously loud, and ear splitting loud.
6. Documentation was pathetic at best. It was like a big secret, they didn't want to get out. This might be why they were hard to program.

I boycotted Athearn Genesis Models for several years until they switched to the, at the time, new tsunami's. I wonder how many thousands of dollars of loco's I didn't buy because of that?

Thanks Horseman, as always there is no sugar coating and that is how I like it - direct and straight to the point.

Can you just qualify one thing - are they hard to program by any chance? :p :D

Thanks Horseman, as always there is no sugar coating and that is how I like it - direct and straight to the point.

Can you just qualify one thing - are they hard to program by any chance? :p :D
The MRC sound decoders are not that tough to program, but their configuration range is extremely limited. Such as, momentum is only from 0-32.

After listening to everything that has been said and reading (googling) other stuff I have decided to pass on the MRC Decoders and go with an ESU Select Direct Micro Decoder.

Y7PRyWx.jpg

I imagine it will be the bottom decoder of the two shown due to its narrower width.

I might even lash out on their "Programming" thing as well. All I need to do now is decide upon the Speaker - mainly the size and shape.

Back