MRC decoder problem

Habbyguy

I just got a MRC 1820 sound decoder for my RS-3(new model). After installing it, I put it on my track and turned on the power. The sound came on and I turned the lights on. Then it went pop and started to smoke. One of the capacitors blew. I forgot to put a piece of tape between the motor and decoder that shorted it. So I took off the capacitor and put a new one on. Every thing seems to work.
Does anyone have a video with the same decoder so I can compare to see if the sound is working right? I need the video where the loco is at a full stop then accelerate slowly to high speed.

MRC decoders OK

Can't help with the video but I would suggest that the sound is OK if it works at all. The only exception would be variations due to NON-default CVs.

I have installed 2 MRC1804 Athearn MP15 board replacement decoders and find them fine unlike the previous poster (Lester).

I have tried several MRC decoders and had no luck with them. ........ their decoders suck

Well expressed opinion - NOT.

take care ,,, ken

ken;

MRC decoders do have a history of poor sound performance, as well as an inability to hold any programming whatsoever. There used to be many complaints on this forum as well as others about this. Must be some truth to it as Athearn, who used to include MRC decoders in their sound equipped locos, switched to Tsunamis.

In this case, you can't fault the MRC decoder since the chip wasn't insulated from the motor and shorted out.

Best regards,
Brian

Back