MR and Pelle, Sittin' in a tree...

My problem with MR is not Pelle or any of the other "favorites". The problem is that there is rarely anything that interests me.

I found that to be true many years ago, which is why I haven't subscribed for over 20 years. When MR stopped "doing it" for me, I found some other magazines to be much more interesting to me such as Model Railroading and Rail Model Journal, which sadly have both stopped publishing. I'm planning on moving this fall and have boxes of old magazines, which I'll be thinning down and throwing out.

I've already started and I'll be keeping most of my MRG and RMJ magazines as they have more stuff which is relevant to me and more lasting. MR ... not as much, so I'll be tossing quite a few MR magazines out. I've found about all many MR magazines are good for are trips down memory lane which isn't enough to make me keep all but a few now. I've found most MR content is so dated now that it will be MR magazine goes first. At least RMJ and MRG magazines have more articles about prototype stuff which is still relevant historically. A few MR may have a useful articles but most of the content is about stuff that has been superseded so less relevant to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
The title made me chuckle too.

MR has faded from its "glory days" especially when you look at the resurgence of RMC in the last few years. I subscribe to both for now, but come renewal time I may drop MR. After all, the canary died, so I no longer have a birdcage to line.

I'm planning on moving this fall and have boxes of old magazines, which I'll be thinning down and throwing out.

Did that a few years ago, most of what I saved were articles from RMC, MRG and RMJ. Most MR articles didn't pass muster. Looking around the train room, it's time to do it again.

I still like the magazine and will continue to subscribe for the foreseeable future. There are plenty of good articles besides the ones Pelle writes! That many of you are disatisfied, seems to be par for the course for this day and age. You certainly can supply them with articles you have written, if you think you can do better! Please let us all know that you have an article coming out so we can critique.

Well, looks like maybe change may be in the air for MR Magazine, editor Neil Besougloff has been let go at Model Railroader.

Posted over at MR Forums - reportedly the quote is from contributing editor Pelle:

>Well here's the source of the rumor from a contributing editor at MR.

>"This morning Cody, Kent and Drew picked me up at my hotel to go on a rail fan/research trip in the area before my meetings at the Kalmbach offices. Kent works for MR Video Plus so of course every move was recorded. He even had a GoPro mounted on the windshield of the car pointing at my face :) We had a great time and apparently the CN use their Tier 4's a lot. One train had one as second unit and another had one as lead engine. We also drove by Neil's house so I could say proper good bye to him. To you who don't know, Neil Besougloff was laid off just before I left for my trip. It was a chock to everybody, Neil included. In the afternoon I had a meeting the new editor Hal Miller and he told me that nothing will change regarding me. They still want me to contribute to the magazine as much as I can so you have to put up with me a little longer"

"Hal Miller has been named as his replacement."

"According to the DCC Guy, www.dccguy.com/?p=4767, Neil has retired."

I would doubt that the lay-off was a discipline action but rather the magazine owners have probably been watching a steady decline in subscribership and revenue, and decided it had gone on long enough and want a change. It's been modus operandi for too long and something needs to change. The old way of doing things at MR isn't "doing-it" any longer. Whoever is in charge has asked to keep contributing editor Pelle around, obviously because MR needs to maintain content going forward, but I would interpret this as an effort to shake things up a bit and reduce the hemorrhaging if possible. MR magazine as we have known it for the past 5-10 years may be changing - hopefully for the better. RMC has changed with Cartens bowing out and White River Productions taking over and a new crowd running the magazine - and it is much improved. MR needs to do the same thing or it may end up losing relevance and go the way of Sears, Kmart and other sharply declining, and soon to be gone, company names.

I do still have a subscription to MR, but may not renew. The majority of the magazine really doesn't interest me. I think my main draw is the layout visits and track plans that they do every month. These I do enjoy. A lot of the magazine has to do with DCC which I have no interest in. I do model the transition era and a lot of the articles are on more modern equipment.

MR isn't what it was years ago. I will have to agree that Pelle Soeborg's layout has taken up lot of the magazine in recent months. I will have to admit that he does do some nice work, but I am sure that there are many other layouts across the country and the world that could be visited.

I was very happy to see RMC come back into print.

Apparently, Kalmbach management has noticed that MR is not what it once was. Wish Hal Miller good luck. If they could just bring it up to the level of RMC...

Well, I subscribe to MR but I have to say, rarely read it.There is just too much great information available on the internet. I'll look through the articles and then hit the ipad.
I do like how to videos and layout tours.

As for John Allen, I have nothing bad to say. His layout was my inspiration. To do what he did at that time is amazing. Most of it is scratch built (people, rolling stock, scenery, bridges, locomotives etc. etc.) Now I did not get MR when constant articles were coming out, I had to search for information and buy the book so I can't speak to the volume of articles.

Now IMHO Soeborg (sp.) is not John Allen and I'm also getting put off by MR's constant use of his stuff. don't get me wrong it is good and even innovative in some cases but, enough already.

All this from another modeler who has not submitted an article or video for publication or website.

I still like the magazine and will continue to subscribe for the foreseeable future. There are plenty of good articles besides the ones Pelle writes! That many of you are disatisfied, seems to be par for the course for this day and age. You certainly can supply them with articles you have written, if you think you can do better! Please let us all know that you have an article coming out so we can critique.

Mark: You do realize that some of those who expressed dissatisfaction with Model Railroader's Content, in this thread, have had articles published in MR, RMC, MRH and other publications? They are not just dissatisfied consumers or complainers. Personally, after being a subscriber for over 50 years, I no longer feel I'm getting my money's worth.

You are, of course, free to disagree. There is no need to be snarky about it.

As for John Allen, I have nothing bad to say. His layout was my inspiration. To do what he did at that time is amazing. Most of it is scratch built (people, rolling stock, scenery, bridges, locomotives etc. etc.) Now I did not get MR when constant articles were coming out, I had to search for information and buy the book so I can't speak to the volume of articles.

Now IMHO Soeborg (sp.) is not John Allen and I'm also getting put off by MR's constant use of his stuff. don't get me wrong it is good and even innovative in some cases but, enough already.

I gather that Pelle Søeborg, is a professional Graphics Designer, and Writer, who cranks his articles out as part of his business. Interesting that he was the one to "leak" the story of Neil Besougloff's "Early Retirement".

Søeborg, is not John Allen, but he's not all that bad. Problem, is that he is over published. I also gather that MR has high standards for articles submitted by outsiders, which limits what they will accept, but I've seen references that indicate they have a decent stash of future articles they have accepted, paid for, but not published.

Mark: You do realize that some of those who expressed dissatisfaction with Model Railroader's Content, in this thread, have had articles published in MR, RMC, MRH and other publications? They are not just dissatisfied consumers or complainers. Personally, after being a subscriber for over 50 years, I no longer feel I'm getting my money's worth.

You are, of course, free to disagree. There is no need to be snarky about it.

How on earth am I supposed to know that anyone here has ever had anything published? Not being "Snarky", simply pointing out that people always appear to be dissatisfied with everything today! Do I feel the magazine could be better? Yes, I believe it could be. However, the fact that you have to pay for it, will always make it less desirable then the free information many get off the internet, it's simple economics! It's fine for people to complain about the quality of the longest lived Model Railroading Magazine on Earth; but, I'm the snarky one?!?

How on earth am I supposed to know that anyone here has ever had anything published? Not being "Snarky", simply pointing out that people always appear to be dissatisfied with everything today! Do I feel the magazine could be better? Yes, I believe it could be. However, the fact that you have to pay for it, will always make it less desirable then the free information many get off the internet, it's simple economics! It's fine for people to complain about the quality of the longest lived Model Railroading Magazine on Earth; but, I'm the snarky one?!?
Mark D, You're not the only Snarky One ! Being that we are now , have been in the Electronic century the computer age... I think RMC,mr and etc. could easily do a Free Downloadable version of their model railroad publication for those who are have a limited budget. Who knows RMC ,mr and etc just may gain more readership from a Free Downloadable version of their monthly hard copy. Just my opinion no cause for alarm .

BCK RR

G'day. I don't get the critics of either Model Railroader or Pelle Soeborg .I really enjoy Pelle Soeborg's articles immensely. It's one of many reasons why I look forward to my copy each month . I do get a British one called (unsurprisingly) Model Rail that inspires me to look at better techniques also. Their feature layouts are great too.
I cannot see why Pelle's articles can cause any issues whatsoever. Some time ago I posted a reply on You Tube to a video he had there and I was thrilled that he personally responded to me. I will always look forward to my Model Railroader and all the better for Pelle Soeborg's contributions. This video isn't that one I got the reply from him but this is a quality layout and he loves the hobby . Who cares what his job is as some here seem to want to mention. Not very productive guys...This is beaut and substantial work and I don't blame Model Railroader enlisting his passion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph2GT4CbjpQ .. Cheers Rod .

Yo Rodney, good to hear from ya! That's one nice layout. Concerning MR and Pelle, Mr Søeborg, is a talented modeler, and writer, the problem perhaps is too much of a good thing? The other side is that if your interests are similar to his, he is more interesting. If your not into what Pelle is writing about, he is less interesting. It's a matter of individual taste.

Another consideration, most of MR's critics, here and elsewhere, are experienced modelers, and long term subscribers. Kalmbach, markets MR and related spinoff publications, as "How it's done by Mr's Experts" I suppose, that doesn't sit well with some long term readers / modelers.

On the business side, the price of a subscription has increased steadily over the years, while content has declines (IMHO), Last 3 year renewal cost me $24.48/year, now,it's $31.65.
My income hasn't increased that much in the last three years... Amazon was offering a year @ $42.95, on my Kindle Fire, but that's the same price as the print edition.

I have replaced MR, with a subscription to Diesel Era, which is highly acclaimed by rivet counters. Over all, it costs me more, but if the content doesn't meet my expectations, I'll drop it.

Remember, Model Railroader, (and other), magazines are consumer products, so consumer critique is appropriate.

I used to say the same thing about Bruce Chubb and David Barrow back in the day. MR rides the modelers who produce articles and build layouts. Mindheim and Soeberg are modern era modelers and that may have something to do with the complaints....and popularity.

Been following this thread since its resurrection, but haven't posted yet. While I still subscribe to the print version, it has become less relevant to me over the years. There are still a few gems to be found. The problem is as I see it, that much of what they publish along the lines of "how to", I learned years ago so it's just a rehash of stuff that I already know. I do get somewhat tired of the repetitious authors at times, that's something that they need to fix. Perhaps a change in editors will do the trick. But that has been happening as long as MR has been around, Malcolm Furlow, Dave Barrow, Tony Koester to name a few over the years. I actually like Pelle's modeling, but his Southwest layout was getting boring. His new direction will hold my interest for another article or two and it too will then get boring. Another "turn-off" for me only is the constant flow of DCC articles. I do realize that DCC is the mode of the present and future, but for me it's a space user since I will remain a DC operator for the rest of my modeling life. At least they don't preach that it is the only way to go like some MRH authors seem to do at times. I definitely enjoy looking at the featured layouts regardless of scale.
Just my 2¢ worth.

Willie

At least they don't preach that it is the only way to go like some MRH authors seem to do at times.

Willie: MRH, is like that, and, since they branched out into pay videos, magazine content has suffered. Since MRH remains free for the download, I'll continue downloading and reading it. MRH doesn't take up much storage space either. :rolleyes:

Yo Rodney, good to hear from ya! That's one nice layout. Concerning MR and Pelle, Mr Søeborg, is a talented modeler, and writer, the problem perhaps is too much of a good thing? The other side is that if your interests are similar to his, he is more interesting. If your not into what Pelle is writing about, he is less interesting. It's a matter of individual taste.

Another consideration, most of MR's critics, here and elsewhere, are experienced modelers, and long term subscribers. Kalmbach, markets MR and related spinoff publications, as "How it's done by Mr's Experts" I suppose, that doesn't sit well with some long term readers / modelers.

On the business side, the price of a subscription has increased steadily over the years, while content has declines (IMHO), Last 3 year renewal cost me $24.48/year, now,it's $31.65.
My income hasn't increased that much in the last three years... Amazon was offering a year @ $42.95, on my Kindle Fire, but that's the same price as the print edition.

I have replaced MR, with a subscription to Diesel Era, which is highly acclaimed by rivet counters. Over all, it costs me more, but if the content doesn't meet my expectations, I'll drop it.

Remember, Model Railroader, (and other), magazines are consumer products, so consumer critique is appropriate.
G'day Fair enough . I see your well made point because I am indeed doing a modern day BNSF/ATSF post transition era layout although it's come to a halt for the moment. House reno things take precedence currently including new bathroom stuff and a new shed. Sadly living in Australia limits the choice of magazines so at $11 a copy and with a subscription not practical I rely on my local newsagent to provide me with my Model Railroader one month after the issue goes on sale in the USA. The other one I buy is a beaut British mag called MODEL RAIL that I buy a bit cheaper ($10) . Some of the feature layouts and techniques are just plain enjoyable to read about and take in.
My somewhat limited modelling skills are offset by having the opportunity to see the work of those more competent like Pelle and a few others in the pages of a favourite and accessible publication like Model Railroader or by being the You Tube junkie I am. I do appreciate your good points though.. Here's a very favourite layout via YT that is just lovely , bias admitted because the ol' Santa Fe features strongly. This Part 1 of a two part video .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWL9i8Byd6c . Enjoy this tribute to this great modeler's work. It's an analog layout too that is highly detailed and loses nothing for not being DCC although later on I think Jim did digitized sound for it..
Cheers Rod..

It's like I said and was accused of being "Snarky" for stating so, people will always complain about anything under the sun. It's so easy to complain instead of thinking of ways to make something better.

I am absolutely certain that Model Railroader would welcome any well written article on any topic; so, consider writing something you feel is publish worthy and you would be making MR better!

Apparently MR is not quite so welcoming. Over the past few years I have seen complaints in forums posted by modelers who wanted to contribute to MR magazine, but found that they were turned away because the conditions were too onerous or too many hoops to jump through or standards perhaps too high. I see people throw down the gauntlet to people who complain about magazine content suggesting they write articles for the magazines. Then we find out later, many people have tried to do exactly that but were turned down. So it seems, it ain't so simple as that.

Back