MOW and other Vehicle Weathering

No decals yet for the MOW trucks. A combination of my fault and the supplier on vacation.

But, a couple container chassis showed up and a tractor. Along with 3 Aurora Miniature containers (the details are great but IMO not worth the crazy costs) I clear coated them
IMG_4458.jpeg
IMG_4459.jpeg
IMG_4457.jpeg
IMG_4456.jpeg
IMG_4455.jpeg

using the VMS matte clear and started lightly weathering one of the chassis
IMG_4465.jpeg
IMG_4464.jpeg
IMG_4463.jpeg
IMG_4462.jpeg
IMG_4461.jpeg

Not crazy about the mud flaps but even on a clean chassis the mud flaps are usually first and become the dirtiest and there is no pattern of dirt. If the client wants it changed, it’s not sealed yet so easy to re-do. Once he approves or changes this chassis, I will do the other one

The Athearn Kenworth tractor is going to be part of a MOW scene. It will be hauling a lowboy trailer and because it’s older the client wants it dirty with some obvious rusting on the lower door frames. I am looking for an inspiration picture but not a rust bucket picture

enjoy the day

Next up are the 3 containers. Lightly done weathering. They are clear coated and between things I have to do today should be done by midnight.
These are the new Aurora Miniatures containers and are extremely nicely detailed. Again in IMO they are definitely not worth it $wise compared to say a Walthers Scenemaster container or even Athearn’s when they are on sale. But, I didn’t have to buy them. $38.99 for 3 at Lombard Hobbies

I don’t have pictures of only the 3 but will take some when I get to the bench. Thats them, MSC, to the top right of the turntable
IMG_4458.jpeg

Let’s make a mess and then clean it up. Here’s the mess part. Client wants these medium to a light heavy grime but no rust on the tractors.

Since I couldn’t sleep last night and these 3 tractors were already undercoated a Tamiya hull red and clear coated, it was a good time for not being neat

Tamiya black panel liner basically just floated on towards the lines and it doesn’t matter how little or not is on and neatness here doesn’t count. It’s going to get cleaned with a q-tip/cotton bud or a micro brush loaded with mineral spirits. The process is super easy and it doesn’t matter if clean was 15 minutes after application or 48 hours. Then light layers of mud/dirt washes until I like it
IMG_0580.jpeg
IMG_0581.jpeg
IMG_0583.jpeg
IMG_0584.jpeg
IMG_0585.jpeg

Yes, I received a couple more CN vehicles to weather, in the background…

I have 2 grain trailers I did at the same time but I must have been tired as there are no pictures.

I should have time tomorrow morning to start cleaning these guys up

enjoy your day

The Athearn Kenworth tractor is done. Its been approved and is ready for the postal service

the client has been looking for a lowboy trailer, cheap and isn’t having any luck. I pointed him to 3000toys.com and not only has he ordered his lowboy, he got 2 and he says way much to other stuff. He said he’s shipping it all direct to me…
IMG_4538.jpeg
IMG_4537.jpeg
IMG_4536.jpeg
IMG_4535.jpeg
IMG_4534.jpeg

This will be my last post in this thread for a couple months. I have a 4 day golf outing coming up on the 15th, a week home and then we travel for the month of September.

These are the last 7 trucks for my my main vehicle client. Just stripped off the CP markings and stripes. This will bring to 48 MOW vehicles I have done various things to for him. The decals he will do himself for this set of trucks
IMG_0837.jpeg

Please, if you have anything to show, questions or suggestions post them! I will still check in but no pictures for anything new

I do have 2 CN trucks for my own layout and while I have not seen any real dirty CN trucks in Wisconsin, these will get pretty dirty for my layout. That’s for the October projects!

IMG_0838.jpeg

These 14 containers needed weathering and a great way to gather my weathering mojo back!
IMG_1026.jpeg

No before pictures but these were worked on in the late afternoon and then late evening yesterday. This morning I will check out the roofs and see what needs to be done

Clear coated 1st with VMS matte clear varnish
IMG_1027.jpeg

Then added washes of Vallejo
IMG_1028.jpeg

The mixes and formulas of them were not recorded and I was going by feel. What looked right in my eye.

Only the clear coat was airbrushed
IMG_1025.jpeg
IMG_1024.jpeg
IMG_1023.jpeg
IMG_1022.jpeg

Then let dry over night

Trailers

The first matte coat has been applied. The fade was applied and then just some grime so far on the trailer doors, the side frame and front panel of the trailer. The commission is heading to a southwest desert
IMG_4732.jpeg
IMG_4733.jpeg
IMG_4735.jpeg
IMG_4734.jpeg
IMG_4736.jpeg
IMG_4737.jpeg
IMG_4738.jpeg
IMG_4739.jpeg
scene and the modeler wanted just a slight sandy grime. Waiting for approvals before proceeding to the roof and side panels

The only thing is (and I know it's for someone else) that UPS keeps their trailers clean. Amazon also. Other than that they look good.
Yep they are clean when on the road. Coming off a train there is some grime but again not much. I think I have that. Anymore to me is too much but like you say, it’s for someone else

Both UPS and the big Amazon distribution center near us have wash racks and ALL trucks and trailers go through them when they get fueled or unloaded. I don’t know how FedEx works as they have so many different types of delivery services but they are pretty clean too

Yep they are clean when on the road. Coming off a train there is some grime but again not much. I think I have that. Anymore to me is too much but like you say, it’s for someone else

Both UPS and the big Amazon distribution center near us have wash racks and ALL trucks and trailers go through them when they get fueled or unloaded. I don’t know how FedEx works as they have so many different types of delivery services but they are pretty clean too
It's a tuff one. Some companies like UPS that keep things clean and make it hard to weather. Yes they get dirty but yes they get clean. A lot of times a light dull coat is all the get.

It's a tuff one. Some companies like UPS that keep things clean and make it hard to weather. Yes they get dirty but yes they get clean. A lot of times a light dull coat is all the get.
I have done over 100 trailers over the last 18 months. About 40% are just clear coated to remove the sheen. 5% are more then medium weathered, 10% were medium weathered with the balance are basically clear coated and lightly dusted.

This Amazon trailer is a rarity in that it’s going to be in the medium range. I have a photo but no permissions from the client to show the prototype trailer.

IMG_4739.jpeg
IMG_4738.jpeg
IMG_4737.jpeg
IMG_4736.jpeg

I have a client that loves intermodal stack trains. His daughter dropped off 24 containers after school today and dad is looking for a flavor!

A mix of 20’, 40’ and 53’ is unusual for him, but not the rush nature of things for him. 1st picture is after inspection and prior to a cleaning with a brush and 70% Isopropyl Alcohol.

IMG_2050.jpeg
IMG_2051.jpeg

The following 2 pictures were taken after the airbrushing of the fade mixture:

Tamiya x-2 white thinned 20% paint/ 5% x-21 flat base and 75% IPA

Unusual that the chalk or talc that is in the x-21 base showed up! I am pretty sure I just used 5% as it was applied with a pipette. But sometimes I can’t count! I will come back to these in about an hour and decide what’s next. I can take a decent stiff brush (doubtful) and brush the sides off or more likely the next fade coat will not contain the x21 base. Either way the next and final fade coat will be done tonight. I might have 1 hour in total for the 24 seen in the pictures with maybe another 30 minutes after drying to close out today

IMG_2052.jpeg
IMG_2053.jpeg

I will post the finished containers late tomorrow

Back