Most Bang For the Buck HO Scale Big Boy?

ryanrev

Trix, Precision Craft, Broadway, Marklin, Genesis, I test ran a Rivarossi and wasn't impressed. What do you feel is the best all around including drive, detail, and price. I dont mind getting used. I would like to keep it below 4-500dollars CAN.

Three months ago, hands down, why even argue, the answer would have been the PCM sound-equipped one sold for a song at Factory Direct Trains...in my humble opinion. Now, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a toss between the Riv and the Athearn, although I have never seen either run. Reports about the Athearn are generally very favourable in terms of running and looks...it's just that gosh darned MRC excuse for a decoder.

I believe, by the way, that Trix/Marklin are one and the same, with their collective BB falling under the Trix banner, and the PCM/BLI falls under the PCM banner.

The Trix should be a close second to the PCM in terms of looks and pulling power if the Model Railroader Magazine review is to be taken at face value. Its outstanding deficiency that I recall, except for perhaps the sound files on the Loksound decoder (?), is that the drivers are too low...their diameters are at least 5-6" less than those on the real BB.

My suggestion, as much as it'll cost ya, is to add a motive decoder to a Blueline from BLI. Otherwise, if it is advertised as a metal body, it is all PCM pedigree. What's not to like?

It's outstanding deficiency that I recall, except for perhaps the sound files on the Loksound decoder (?), is that the drivers are too low...their diameters are at least 5-6" less than those on the real BB.

Is that true of only that model, or of all of the Big Boys?

Here's the problem... Scale sized flanges won't work on typical model track and the sharp radii we operate on. The resulting locomotive would be impossible to run on anything but the best laid track, especially in HO or smaller scales.

So, to make a locomotive that runs well and doesn't derail at every turn, they put larger flanges on the wheels. In order to do that, and yet keep the driver axle spacing accurate, something has to give, or the larger flanges would rub against one another. Do you widen the driver spacing, making the entire locomotive too long? Probably not... So you make the driver diameter (measured at the tread, where the driver touches the rail, not the edge of the flange) smaller, thus accomodating the larger flange. The resulting edge of flange to edge of flange size may be about the same as on the real thing, but that's not where you measure driver diameter.

This is typical model railroad practice, and often the best solution to a difficult problem. I'm not sure whether all the models in question have the same issue, but I'd at least check into it before you put too much weight into the concern regarding that particular locomotive.

Also check into the minimum radius requirements before you buy any of them, and make sure you layout can accomodate it.

Bob, without actually checking, my recollection is that when MR did a comparison between the Big Boys some months ago, the PCM outpulled the Trix by a very slim margin...verging on negligible. For details, they liked both engines, but when it came to nit-picking, they mentioned that there was quite a disparity in the diameters of the tire rims on the drivers between the two makes. The Trix was several scale inches smaller. No mention of the flanges at all, but I believe both are RP-25 compliant.

I do know that all model manufacturers have to fudge a bit on the spacing of the drivers due to the requirement to oversize the flanges for our purposes, and that it sometimes forces license with the actual scale, and even with positioning relative to applicances. MR didn't mention that the PCM was as far off as the Trix, and I believe they said that PCM had actually done much better.

-Crandell

As far as looks go I saw this Athearn (I believe) unit sitting quitely on our club layout and it's detail looked pretty Impressive to me.

again , yes im necroposting but the athearn do look nice & run decent but im going to rip out the MRC & go with tsunumi's

Back