More Wiring Help Please

cav

Ok so now I am on to the upper layout and hooking the upper and lower together.

What I would like to happen is have both the upper and lower run on the same controller.

What I think I need to do is isolate the branch section that hooks the two together. and run all three thru a track selector. But again I am not sure.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ok first a couple questions are you operating DC or DCC? Also do you plan on installing signals at any time? Cause the best way for that would be your idea in creating block districts.

How many power packs/cabs ?

The only place on your diagram that presents any issues is the upper left leg of the wye. You will need two double-pole, double-throw switches to maintain polarity, as mentioned in your earlier thread.

Not sure what you are trying to achieve with the track selector.

I have one power pack with two cab controlls on it. My thought was to run cab #1 on the upper main, lower main, branch line and wye, the wye is already wired up and working well so that part is good. The big question is what happens when I isolate the branch section, will that have to have the polarity reversed also?

So you're not going to use the second cab?

Looking at your diagram, the branch is not a reversing section.

Starting on the 'Mainline Upper,' imagine running a train clockwise.
Once around the upper loop...
Down the branch to the 'Mainline Lower' ...
Counter-clockwise around the Mainline Lower ...
The only time you end up traveling a track in both directions is if you take the upper left leg of the wye, thus, it's the only reversing section.

Just my opinion, but you might want to consider wiring for two-cab control, allowing any block of track to be powered from either cab, or unpowered.

More switches, slightly more complicated, but IMO worth it.

Let us know how you make out!

Thanks Chris, and the second cab is used, I just didn't draw it out, in the large open area of the lower mainline there will be a yard and a town and what not. Just haven't figured that out yet.

Sounds good. I suggest that you wire your arrival/departure track(s) for both cabs, and no cab. You can use a DPDT centre-off switch, or a DPDT and an SPST.

So not knowing much about DC and even less about DCC, since I am in the process of building a layout, my question is if I went to a DCC controller would I need to worry about all the cabs, reversing sections and what not with a DCC system. I don't really know how they work or what they are capable of and I need a new controller anyway so now might be a good time to switch if it works like I think it does.

About the only thing to free you from in DCC wiring is the block system. Everything else, gaps, reversals in phase, etc must be wired the same way, or controlled manually/digitally the same way. So, you must gap rails, especially after power-routing turnouts, and you must gap the leg on a turning wye you intend to use for reversing, or gap both routes leaving a turnout that leads to a reversing loop.

If you decide to purchase an automatic reverser, at tip for you is to not have both gaps directly across from each other. That is, don't have them so that a carpenter's square laid against one rail would show the two gaps perfectly perpendicalar if the other side of the square were lined up with them. The idea is to stagger them for about 1/8" if possible which keeps the logic centre in the chip from doing weird things. Someone else can explain why in more detail, but I wanted to let you know that, at least in the case of Digitrax and their PSX-AR, they suggest you stagger the gaps by a wee bit.

Think of DCC as putting a tiny brain that listens into the decoder. It tells the motor what to do, not you and the throttle. So, unlike DC, where when you operate the throttle and the loco moves, in DCC when you operate the throttle the decoder tells the loco to move or to turn on lights. It will move regardless of the polarity to the rails because it converts the AC current to DC for the sake of the DC can motor. No blocks needed because the decoder reverses the pulses to control motor direction.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back