More Fun from Broadway Limited and Modeltrainstuff...

I saw this deal Sunday... BLI SW7 PRR for $129.99 .... :eek: Oh yeah... Modeltrainstuff only had ONE in stock and now they have none! :D Should be here about Thursday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats - heluva deal you got there! Good looking loco. I have a few of the P2K version of that model for my steel mill.

My wife and I just got the Southern Pacific version this week. It sure wasn't the price you paid but I did pick it up at Hobbytown sooooo lol.

I really like it although we are just getting back into trains after 20 years flying R/C planes. This hobby is MUCH cheaper and easier to sell to the wife ;).

My wife and I just got the Southern Pacific version this week. It sure wasn't the price you paid but I did pick it up at Hobbytown sooooo lol.

I really like it although we are just getting back into trains after 20 years flying R/C planes. This hobby is MUCH cheaper and easier to sell to the wife ;).

There's a good line for my wife. "I think I'll get into R/C planes dear" and then show her some prices.

There's a good line for my wife. "I think I'll get into R/C planes dear" and then show her some prices.

When I would complain about cost, the wife would remind me that I could have a hobby like fishing where the boat alone would be $30K. Or I could still be flying full-scale where, well, I wont even quote those prices because I fear I would be embarrassed. I am just glad she is patient!

My better half is just happy I'm in the basement and not the nudie bars!
That's a whole nuther hobby.
Back to the switcher, I've had one for a while and noticed that the wheels have to be absolutely spotless to run thru switches without stalling.
Good looking and sounding locos!

I can not say my trains cost less then my planes.

Radio $55.00
servo's (4) $28.00
ESC $18.00
battery $7.00
material to build plane $3.00
other items $20.00

So, compared to the really nice Broadway limited Santa Fe I saw at the LHS, yeah, my plane is cheaper. Yet I almost bought the A and B unit plus the (4) two car sets they had in the case.

Yet I do have the R/C helicopters. Now there is a money pit.

I do think the trains last longer. A plane can last a few seconds and turn into a pile of parts.

All of the hobbies are better then the nuddie bars. We have something to show for our money other then a hang over. :)

Buzz.

I can not say my trains cost less then my planes.

Radio $55.00
servo's (4) $28.00
ESC $18.00
battery $7.00
material to build plane $3.00
other items $20.00

So, compared to the really nice Broadway limited Santa Fe I saw at the LHS, yeah, my plane is cheaper. Yet I almost bought the A and B unit plus the (4) two car sets they had in the case.

Yet I do have the R/C helicopters. Now there is a money pit.

I do think the trains last longer. A plane can last a few seconds and turn into a pile of parts.

All of the hobbies are better then the nuddie bars. We have something to show for our money other then a hang over. :)

Buzz.

I have always said that "nudie bars" are like going to a candy store without any money ;)

You know helicopters don't fly, they beat the air into submission lol. Wayyy to expensive for me, I looked into heli's while in the R/C plane thing...nope....those $200 mishaps were too much for me to put up with.

I guess I was comparing the 1/4 scale and up on cost for R/C planes. The .40-.60 sizes are comparable to this hobby but I mostly flew the larger ones. I wont even go into the cost of my 40% Extra 300 that I sold a few years back.

I did not mean to hijack the thread and I like the detailing on the little switcher from BLI. My only concern is its pulling power and slowness. I could put up with the slowness if it pulled like a tractor but so far, it doesn't. I guess thats prototypical for that I suppose. Or maybe this unit is for showing off the sound (I actually muted it!)?

I changed the CV's to try and make it "better" but I think its a gearing thing (??).

My only concern is its pulling power and slowness. I could put up with the slowness if it pulled like a tractor but so far, it doesn't. I guess thats prototypical for that I suppose. Or maybe this unit is for showing off the sound (I actually muted it!)?

I changed the CV's to try and make it "better" but I think its a gearing thing (??).

The main problem with small locos, specially with sound fitted is a lack of weight (speakers etc got to go somewhere). I mentioned elsewhere about an old Lima steam 4-6-0 that's tender drive, owned by a young friend that barely pushes, or pulls it's free running loco and it's all about weight on the drive wheels.

Small and slow? Well, that's ok; it is just a switcher after all... ;) My layout won't be that big and if I want faster, I'll just pull out the BLI F7 or Hudson... And if that doesn't work, my CBR600F2 takes care of my need for speed...:eek:

Small and slow? Well, that's ok; it is just a switcher after all... ;) My layout won't be that big and if I want faster, I'll just pull out the BLI F7 or Hudson... And if that doesn't work, my CBR600F2 takes care of my need for speed...:eek:

Back in my younger years, I rode an FZ600 (before the FZ-R)...loved it! The bike looks good, btw.

I can see your point(s) on the switcher. I guess I need to use it what it is intended for. I have several loco's that are silly fast on my totally suspended layout (all 160' worth). I am just getting the details worked out now with Tortoises (6-pack arriving Tuesday!) and LED indicators (built and mounted). I guess I need to get some pictures taken. No shelves either (all bridge work).

The main problem with small locos, specially with sound fitted is a lack of weight (speakers etc got to go somewhere). I mentioned elsewhere about an old Lima steam 4-6-0 that's tender drive, owned by a young friend that barely pushes, or pulls it's free running loco and it's all about weight on the drive wheels.

Thanks for the input. I am learning :D

I have added weight to most of my rolling stock with .22 lead (I had lots of those lol) that I melted or mounted out of sight. I also added some weight to a loco that the wheels were slipping on grades.

Thanks RCShadow! I really did love the look of the old FZ series. I had an FZ750 waaay back in the day. I have some video from the Coopersville and Marne scenic railway... I rode in the cab of an old SW9(?). Track speed was limited to TEN mph. It was a long way to Marne from Coopersville at that pace! I should put that together and post it...
http://www.coopersvilleandmarne.org/

If weight is helpful, then I bet my P1K C-Liner will pull the yard out with the cars... Once I have it converted to DCC, that is...

Well, we took our little switcher back to the local HS today. I loved the look of the loco and the sound was nice and someone with a smaller layout or with an actual switching yard might make better use of it. Besides, the price I was charged was on the high side to say the least.

Looks like a great deal. I use Modeltrainstuff a lot because I have absolutely no hobby shops even remotely near me. I have found a lot of decent deals with them.

Guess I'm a little like the others with some other hobbies. I find model railroading can be less expensive than other hobbies. I restore classic cars and here's my pride and joy. I have quite a few others, but this one is my baby.

Attachments

• 59 Impala.jpg
    59 Impala.jpg
    628.9 KB · Views: 189
Ah, the '59 Impala "flightdeck". Not sure if the nic-name originated in the US, but was known here as that 'cause of the huge trunklid that resembled a carrier deck.

FLASH!

TWO of these beautiful cars just crossed the Mecum Auction block in Kansas!

The first is a 58' and went for $112,500 :eek:

The second is a 59', and went for $80,000 ;)

These are prestine "rotisserie" restorations.

Back