MONTHLY Photo Fun! - August 2016

santafewillie

Same Ol' Buzzard
It looks like we skipped July, so Let's try August.
Here is a before and after picture of a small scene I did last month.
07-25-16.1 010.001.JPG07-25-16.1 017.001.JPG

Willie

Great pictures!

I would post something, but I don't have anything new maybe next month.

Nice shots Willie. We should have a Weekly Photo Fun thread, but this is a great start.

Here's my two cents. Some of these photos have been posted before, but there are some people may not have seen them.

Here's how I load logs on my logging spur. It may not be prototypical, but it's my railroad and I can load logs any way I want.

IMAG0278_BURST002.jpg IMAG0280.jpg

I'm curious as to what LASM would say about this.

Sort of looks like this duo I have. Way too clean for the Milwaukee Road.

IMAG0790.jpg

Think a bit of weathering is in order here also.

Willie,

Very nice job on the scenery!

Chet,

I don't know what is or what isn't prototypical BUT what you do looks great and probably should be the proto type.

Gene,

I really do envy you guys who can weather their engines, rolling stock. I've always been too afraid of screwing the up to even try.

I really do envy you guys who can weather their engines, rolling stock. I've always been too afraid of screwing the up to even try.

Just dive right in and give it a try, Tony. Worst case scenario, you can always repaint it.

--------------------------------

I took an old Athearn ConRail caboose and painted it to match the Whistle Stop Colors. I've got to remember to take some before shots, but here is basically what it looked like:
s-l1600.jpg

After a quick paint job, it looked like this (Okay, maybe not-so-quick of a paint job):
FA34838E-BB96-4D30-AFB8-84EB57EC21DD_zpsgyvgmlqv.jpg

But, since this was going to be at the end of the breakdown train, I figured it shouldn't look so nice. After a relatively quick weather job, it looked like this:
9ABBDEFF-0B2D-456A-9CB3-71A95607D284_zpscyn1mbjm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanx for starting us off Willie!
Nice stuff guys, good to see some action again...

I'm not home, I'm out in Penticton BC right now. Here's a few shots of a layout section.
The layers will represent sliding earth down the bank. Lots of work ahead!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Gene,

Tony...As FDR was purported to have said " nothing to fear but fear itself" ...really, don't be afraid to try, you will surprise yourself if you do try! Best advice I can give you is... Since you are moving from HO to N scale...take one or two of your HO freight cars and dedicate them to experimenting and practising weathering techniques. I'll email you some links to a few tutorials. Then go out a buy a couple of weathering powders or pastel sticks and a few watercolour pencils and then start playing....try the dry-brushing with some enamels, dusting with powders, using the pencils....you only need one or two cars to use as test beds. Then when they are totally mashed up....give them an overall spray with some basic colour like rust or green or black and then you have a fresh canvas to start experimenting on again. Its great.

Last edited by a moderator:
This little BLI Portsmouth Switcher was totally an impulse buy a few days ago, not even sure if Canadian National even ran them. It's a great little loco, runs nice and slow and is the perfect size for my little 6x1 switching layout. Just need to weather it now.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Tony...As FDR was purported to have said " nothing to fear but fear itself" ...really, don't be afraid to try, you will surprise yourself if you do try! Best advice I can give you is... Since you are moving from HO to N scale...take one or two of your HO freight cars and dedicate them to experimenting and practising weathering techniques. I'll email you some links to a few tutorials. Then go out a buy a couple of weathering powders or pastel sticks and a few watercolour pencils and then start playing....try the dry-brushing with some enamels, dusting with powders, using the pencils....you only need one or two cars to use as test beds. Then when they are totally mashed up....give them an overall spray with some basic colour like rust or green or black and then you have a fresh canvas to start experimenting on again. Its great.

Gene,

Thanks mate and I think I have one or two cars laying around that I could play with. Would also appreciate the tutorial links and any recommendations for materials to get as well.

Not sure if you have my "updated email" or not but in the event you don't, here it is:

tcannon57@yahoo.com

Thanks again mate and I'll give this a try. The worse that can happen is I give you guys a good laugh :)

Gene,

Thanks mate and I think I have one or two cars laying around that I could play with. Would also appreciate the tutorial links and any recommendations for materials to get as well.

Not sure if you have my "updated email" or not but in the event you don't, here it is:

tcannon57@yahoo.com

Thanks again mate and I'll give this a try. The worse that can happen is I give you guys a good laugh :)

more than happy to help mate...I'll put something together over the weekend....is your wombat457 email address no good anymore? Do you already have any weathering materials like paints or pastels already on hand?

Gene,

My wombat email is discontinued due to server/isp issues so my yahoo thing is my only address now. Ahh, I have a box of chalk but that's about it aside from various model paints of course but nothing specific for weathering in terms of materials or tools so any advice you could throw in my direction would be great.

Back