Modern Track Scale

This track scale is located on the Georgia Central Railway, which is now a Genessee and Wyoming Railroad. They predominately operate with a fleet of ex Southern high hood GE U23B's.

It is named for Roy Thigpen, whom I understand was a SCL/SBD/CSX official that controlled the route. This scale is south of Tarry Town, GA, and the line was originally built by the Georgia and Alabama Railway, and later merged into the Seaboard Air Line.

attachment.php

As you can see, the important components are the scale itself, AEI scanners, the electrical cabinet, and miscellaneous goodies, such as the traffic style lights, which I presume indicate to the engineer that the scale is energized and operational, and some antennae can also be seen.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The concrete approaches probably give a more accurate weight than regular ties would, as the ties would still sag, and possibly alter the reading. They each appear to be 70-80ft long. I believe the metal plates merely cover wiring and whatever else; the actual scales seem to be the orange bits, which would lift the flanges of each car.

The large black line on the outside of the rail is evidence of a (or several) leaky traction motors on the locomotives.

You could probably model this with some sheet styrene as the concrete approaches, and an electrical cabinet. Details West seems to make some HO scale cabinets.
http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/dtw/dtw908.htm?source=froogle

James

Last edited by a moderator:

Back