Modeling a prototype locomotive. Sources?

NIevo

Well after getting back into the hobby recently I have a much greater desire to model my locomotives and rolling stock (mainly engines though) to better represent the prototype. Problem is I'm having a hard time finding good photo's of the exact engines I have. What is everyone else's sources for finding good prototype photo's? So far I have used Locophotos.com and rrpicturearchives.net. any other good ones out there? You think manufacturers would choose more popular and photographed units for there models:(

Google image search. Put in locos you are looking for in various configurations and see what comes up. I have found nearly 40 photos of BNSF 7023. Unfortunately none between 1992 and 1998 the era I model. In that time it has had several different plows as well as several lighting variations,beacon, strobe, ditchlites, hi then low headlite. So the trick is getting not only the number but the date because things are always changing.

I just noticed you are from Hayden. I grew up in Rose Lake and used to stand on top of the slide at school to see over the highway to see the UP headed to Kellogg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys, I've checked out most of those sites. Problem is just getting the photos where you can see all the details. I think it will be much better on my sanity if I focus more on detailing for the period I'm modeling, more then the exact prototype.

Those are some great links guys. I've spent the last couple of hours just surfing through all of the different pics. :D

Back