Modeling a minor Derailment

MPCRR

Maple Pacific Coast
Whats the best way to make a car or locomotive appear as if it was involved in a derailment? I've tried using tin foil, but that didn't work like I wanted it to, and bending plastic is way to hard. Any ideas? :confused:

Thanks,

John

We have the master at derailment stuff here. Lets just let Jerome tell us how he does it.

Your question re a minor derailment may not be the best description. To me a minor derailment would just have rolling stock wheels off the track, with everything still standing upright. Not much if any damage. If you want to model damaged equipment, you'd be looking for a wreck.

Sorry I haven't been around much. My laptop crashed last week and I haven't got it back from the shop yet. I have to borrow my wife's computer when I can. OK, enough excuses LOL.

MPCRR, I tried to look at your photo in the link, but it won't load. Do you mean something like this??

100_1406.jpg

100_1679.jpg

100_1620.jpg

I use a combination of steps. Melting plastic, cutting out plastic, using metal tape to replace damaged sheet steal. If everybody here wants, I'll do a project step by step with photos to show how I do it. Then everyone can try a wreck and add to the ideas. I'm still learning with each one I do.

If you could do a project step by step. I'm trying to make a realistic scene at the layout I run on, and he approved a crushed car.

I've never done cars, just engines so far. Can you post the actual link to the wreck picture?? The one above doesn't work.

getattachmenthu2.jpg

Theres one of the cars in a Derailment. Jerome, if you need more pictures, I have an entire email here, and will be more than happy to forward it to you.

John, like I said before, I've done engines before but never cars. Being that all cars today are made of some type of plastic or another, it would be quite a task to either melt them to the point where you could damage them, or like Mr. Bourdreau suggested earlier, replacing some of the siding with tinfoil, brass sheeting etc. It would be a difficult build at best.

Alright, thanks Jerome. I'll just play around with a few cars that I have here.

If it turns out meh or above, I'll post some pictures.

details for a wrecked engine

Jerome, I like what you have done and posted here. I don't know if you or someone would know but I wanted to know if anyone has any ideas where I could find the details needed for the inside of modern diesel engines and such the diesel or electric engines? I was thinking of modeling a wrecked engine and wanted to have the inner parts showing. I was thinking I may be able to find a diesel engine from a model semi truck but don’t know if it will be convincing scale. Nor do I want to buy a model truck just for the small part.
rbDHD

oh, may bad, there is others I just got the wrong URL. I'll look for it when I have time later but the one you did was nice?

Dave,

Yes it is a nice motor after you paint it up and weather it a bit. It will fit inside an Athearn shell real nice.

Back