Model train layout in real railroad equipment?

LoudMusic

As you can imagine, it's somewhat difficult to search for this on the web.

Have any of you seen model train layouts built inside real railroading equipment? Like a boxcar or container, or possibly a passenger car or caboose? Even a disused station?

There was a small model railroad club in Chehalis, WA that built their layout in a 40' Milwaukee Road boxcar.

The Ft.Myers, Fla. Club had 3 layouts in 3 boxcars for years. They had HO in one, N in one & S & O in the last one. They also had 3 Speeders that belonged to Club Members parked nearby. The RR had donated the siding to the Club. Now, they have their own building. The siding was ripped up in the early 90's.

The KCS Christmas train has one, O scale/O27 I think, in a boxcar.

The New Braunfels Railroad Museum has a N scale and HO scale layout in the old I&GN/MP station. NBRM

The Meridian Model Railroad Club (Meridian, MS) has a nice HO scale layout in the old REA building of Union Station there. Meridian Railroad Museum It's pretty nice, and all DC.

The model railroad club in Temple (IIRC, the Cen-Tex model railroad club) has the old Moody (ATSF) depot.

There is a layout in the depot at Foley, AL in the old L&N station there. Also, in Jackson, TN, there is a nice layout in the old NC&StL depot there too.

Finding a model railroad in a depot is more common than a freight car, I think.

Oh, and forgot about the San Angelo club at the old ATSF depot (Kansas City, Mexico and Orient). San Angelo Railway museum

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly, not there anymore.

Bummer! That would have been fun to see.

Thanks for the info, guys! I wonder what kind of photos are available online.

There is/was a layout in the roundhouse in Scranton, PA, I just remembered. Part of the Steamtown museum.

Our club (in Canberra, Australia) has a HO layout built in a luggage van, which is at the Railway Historical Society's site. Taree (NSW, Australia) model club occupies the disused goods shed at the station, several layouts erected inside and in-use track beside the building.

Not quite the same but similar. Toy Trains magazine had some guy who built his Lionel Christmas layout on an old restored baggage hand truck. His house had a dinning room with big double doors he would wheel it into at Christmas. I guess it was in a garage the rest of the year. Did beg the question on where they served dinner.

The club I used to belong to in Mobile, Al. had started a layout in an old SRR baggage car. But due to the restoration of the old GM&O terminal there, I don't know if the car or layout even exists anymore.

There is currently a layout in the 1,000,000th boxcar built by Pullman. It is located at the Bessemer Hall of History in Bessemer AL, and CJ how come I had to post this? :p

There is currently a layout in the 1,000,000th boxcar built by Pullman. It is located at the Bessemer Hall of History in Bessemer AL, and CJ how come I had to post this? :p

It slipped what little mind I have left! Right now ain't a good time to see it. The AC is broke!

Back