Model Railroader Mag. Inspiration or Intimidation?

Is it because if asked our opinion, those who would rather besmirch the status quo feel much more compunction to reply than those satisfied with things? Sometimes it appears to me that many Model Railroaders would all complain if they were hung with a new rope?

Last edited by a moderator:
There is psychological rule that talks about negative feelings tending to affect us more so than positive. That said, I prefer to walk on the sunny side of the street.

Am I the only one who thinks that their operations articles are off the mark for most model rrs out there.

I don't actually subscribe to the mag, but flip through it at the library occasionally.

As an enjoyer of realistic operations I appreciate the operations articles, and the On Operations column they have near the back is one I always flip to.

Obviously not everyone is in to that part of the hobby but there are a lot who are. Sometimes, some of these flavours of operations (particularly some of the old timetable operating nuances) really need a bigger layout to really play out but many other operating concepts apply to the "nuts and bolts" of switching operations and can inform designing and running even a small layout realistically.

My son is a videographer his wife is a Professional photographer (weddings, family portrates)
so I am used to high quality photos. I wonder how in the world MRH gets such awful pictures on their splash page every stinkin month?
The people taking the pictures are the authors, who are modelers, not professional photographers.

The people taking the pictures are the authors, who are modelers, not professional photographers.
I was speaking of the monthly portrate of some dude, not the layout pictures. Those are not selfies, no idea who takes them, but they do not do a good job.

I also like the paper mags over the digital versions probably many reasons important only to me.
Mike

CGW121, I have no idea what Portrait photos you are talking about. I guess I don't care if they are high quality; or, not as that fact means nothing to me. Is this much a do about nothing?

Am I the only one that gets the latest MR issue and instead of being inspired to build layouts like it always features, feel depressed I know I never will. ... I'm interested in what you guys think.
My short answer is no. I am not intimidated. I know if I spent the money and took the time I could do everything I see in there. I am more "depressed" because I am overwhelmed with all the MR projects I've stacked up in queue to do over the years. Somehow these people have somehow made the time to do their lists. I'm not certain even if I retired today that I would have time to finish them all before I die. Let alone enjoy the end result. I know there is pleasure in the task, but more pleasure seeing that project scene in a photo, or watching that "project" roll down the rails.

As to the side conversation about MR and magazines. I learned not to discount anything too soon. When I first got the Feb 1973 issue and looked through it, I thought, "hmm what a dud issue." Some time later I needed something, remembered seeing it, looked it up. It was in that issue. Then another thing and another. I think I have now referred back to that "dud" issue more than I have any other.

Of course back then I had the time to read each issue cover to cover. I could probably tell you the page numbers some of the articles started on. Now, I can't think of the last issue I've read cover to cover, let alone memorizing it.

CGW121, I have no idea what Portrait photos you are talking about. I guess I don't care if they are high quality; or, not as that fact means nothing to me. Is this much a do about nothing?
I think he is talking about the photo of the layouts owner/maker that appears at the end of the article. I think the "quality is poor" on purpose, to give the image a "homey, just one of us" feel.

I'm looking at the current issue, and on the cover of the magazine. There is a photo of Bob Truax, for the article on his Great Northern Layout. Is this the type of photo you are complaining about? If so, I think you are making much ado about nothing! Which is certainly your right to do!

I assume he is talking about the Staff page (2nd page of the magazine) that has a little thumbnail of the staff members, probably taken by somebody with a cell phone so they would have a headshot. I guess he wants them to go to a professional photographer to get a headshot for a 1/2" square thumbnail on a page so few people pay attention to, that there is confusion on which page it is. Probably not their highest priority.

I assume he is talking about the Staff page (2nd page of the magazine) that has a little thumbnail of the staff members, probably taken by somebody with a cell phone so they would have a headshot. I guess he wants them to go to a professional photographer to get a headshot for a 1/2" square thumbnail on a page so few people pay attention to, that there is confusion on which page it is. Probably not their highest priority.

No! I have told you all several times which one I was refering to! It was simply an observation that it was not a good shot nothing more or less. Personally if my layout was going to be featured in a publication I would want one that was a bit more flattering than the ones they have used.

Magazines try to get the highest quality stuff that the readers will like so they buy more magazines. People like seeing beautiful layouts with nice scenery. The pictures are intended to be instructional, inspirational and aspirational.

This thread has got me thinking! I've been modeling since I was 5-6 years old. Over that amount of time (I'm just about 70, now) I have learned significant tools and skills to use in my modeling. Nothing I've ever seen in the magazines would seem to be beyond my reach, as a model railroader, because of my skills and experience! My failures as far as my modeling goes is a lack of enough interest to get so deeply involved in one endeavor such as this hobby. Another limiting factor is the higher costs of most things in the hobby today! I guess I'm just unwilling to part with the money it takes to go nuts with the hobby!

Boy this was a long read to catch up to.....

To answer the question per the topic line I found for the most part MRR magazine does inspire me at various times but never has it intimidated me. Although I used to subscribe back in the 90's and early 2000. I since then just bought off the news stand when it appealed to me for what subject matter they have for that issue. As of late I have not bought any of the MRR magazines in years. I do have a lot of my old copies that have certain topics or info the rest I gave away.

I subscribe to the following:

Diesel Era (complete and up to date)

UPHS "the Streamliner"(complete and up to date)

TRP (The Railroad Press) and am working on completing the set from the beginning of start of publishing...

Extra 2200 South and am working on completing the set from the beginning of start of publishing...to their demise. Almost done few more copies I am looking for.....

I buy off the news stands usually the following:

RMC if there is interesting article I want on scratch builds for UP. RMC use to have a lot good articles for scratch building loco, cars and buildings etc. In fact I still look for old copies.

Trains, MR Locomotive & Steam Classics I will buy if I think it has something I am interested in reading.

EDIT: Mainline Modeler was another good magazine very in depth detailed information. I have a few of these for my interest but didn't subscribe or collect these for my library.

Last edited:

Back