MNT SW700R-A/B Set, SW1500

BNSF dude

BNSF foamer
This post is to show the progress on superdetailing/repainting Athearn BB SW7's A/B set and a SP style SW1500 into my fictional railroad. I havent finished painting the drawings but it's good enough to show what they shall look like. The SW700R-B unit will look like the A unit but essentially w/o the cab (duh).

Anthony, I really like the concept of the remote control SW-7. Something you don't see modeled often.

Yes these are the first, what MAY be coming is an SD40T-2. M&NT doesn't support RCL as it takes jobs away. The R is for "Rebuilt" they are rebuilt with new 710-ECO's with 8 cylinders, putting out 2000 BHP. The stratolight beacons turn on depending on which direction the reverser is set. The SW15 only has Gyralights which were "As is" bought from the origional owner, SP.

I have been tossing around the idea of having my own fictitious RR since before I started getting into the hobby. I find it somewhat appealing that the builder would have full control of what was "proper" for their line as well as getting to design your own paint work, lettering, numbering, and etc.

I look forward to more installments of your M&NT line. :)

Anthony,
There's obviously something I'm not understanding here. Why would it be necessary to have strobe lights showing if the engine is in reverse and a warning notice on the engine that it makes reverse movements if it's manned? All locomotives, particularly switchers, make forward and reverse movements all day long with no special notice to anyone on the ground. What's different about your engine?

It's for when you're on the road, with 2000 BHP. These are primarily used in yards but are used on branches with A-B-A sets. The side with the cab (rather than the long hood) on the SW700R's is the Front end.. for visiblility. But when you go into reverse seeing over 3 long hoods is hard when on a local so the stratolight above the long hood headlights turns on. When in forward the front cab strato is on. When in neutral both flash indicating a crew is in the cab. WHen the reverser is removed they both are off. They also serve as engine start warning lights, next to the klaxon that sounds when they turn on or off.

MNT also prefers AC traction on road freights rather than DC. Thus why if I get it the SD40T-2 will become an SD40AC-T. The external difference will be shown later.

Well, Anthony, I still don't get it. Why would a strobe on the trailing unit help you see better when backing? Why would you need to have both strobes flashing to indicate a crew is in the cab? And why would you need strobes and klaxon to indicate the engine is starting? I've seen this type of thing with remote control engines but not manned engines. Is there a prototype you're following or is this part of your freelancing? I don't want to seem like I'm bugging you about this, just trying to understand it.

The EJ&E does something like that with it's red flashers. According to the small amount of time I was looking at them, it appeared that when sitting, the engines would flash all strobes, and depending on what direction they were moving, the appropriate strobe would go on. Each engine had 2.

Cool concept...I am still thinking about doing something like this on my 3 little logging switchers, but do not have the heart to tear any more holes into them.

I am working on making small R/C lights for the sides, though not lighted.

Phil

The klaxon goes off (like an SD70ACe/M-2 would) when starting, the strobes have no crew visual purpose, except for ground crews or people along the ROW or near crossings.

Back