Mixing Vallejo paint

tomstockton

Tom Stockton
Folks, how do you get the plastic nozzle off of a squeeze bottle of Vallejo paint so you can mix the paint inside? I've tried pulling on the spout, but my fingers keep slipping off. And I'm afraid to pry with a screwdriver or pull with pliers, because I don't want to damage the tip.

Any suggestions will be appreciated - especially if they work for me! :)

Regards,
Tom Stockton

Folks, how do you get the plastic nozzle off of a squeeze bottle of Vallejo paint so you can mix the paint inside? I've tried pulling on the spout, but my fingers keep slipping off. And I'm afraid to pry with a screwdriver or pull with pliers, because I don't want to damage the tip.

Any suggestions will be appreciated - especially if they work for me! :)

Regards,
Tom Stockton
Nearly all my paints are Vellejo, you can use small pliers to safely remove them, grip the nozzle as near to the base as you can and gently wiggle the nozzle to and fro while gently pulling.

I would suggest getting stainless steel paint agitator balls and inserting them into the bottles, (same as spray cans have), then you can simply shake them to mix, without removing the nozzle again, like these.

If your using Vellejo Model paint, 2 or 3 of these balls work well as it's a thicker paint, Vellejo Air 1 or 2 will suffice.

Last edited:
I use the Vallejo Air and Color lines for the majority of my weathering. Why do you need to remove the tip on the dropper bottles? I never had a real issue mixing the paint just by shaking the bottles in my hand. Now though I use a Vortex mixer, it’s just easier on me.

Any thinning or color mixing I do either on a palette tray or in another bottle, same with thinning. Curious!

As for the agitator/alligator balls I tried them and the Mission dropper bottles I have contain them, doesn’t help IMO.

Smudge617, thanks for the tip on the agitator balls (and the pliers). I've ordered some of the stainless steel balls from Amazon and they should arrive tomorrow or the day after.

Vallejo paints are fairly new to me. In my years of modelling, I've rarely run across a paint that didn't have a good portion of the pigments settle towards the bottom of the container. When helping me learn to paint models, Dad always taught me to mix my paint well before applying it. And so, out of habit, I always try to give my paints a good mixing before I paint. The longer the container has set without use, the more time I spend on trying to mix the pigments back into suspension, so that I get a good, even coat of paint.

I should mention that I do a large portion of my painting by hand, using a brush. I have a couple of airbrushes, but I don't have a booth for airbrushing - nor a place to set one up at this time.

Thanks again for the help! Oh, and I find the "alligator" balls rather humorous! :D

Regards,
Tom

Smudge617, thanks for the tip on the agitator balls (and the pliers). I've ordered some of the stainless steel balls from Amazon and they should arrive tomorrow or the day after.

Vallejo paints are fairly new to me. In my years of modelling, I've rarely run across a paint that didn't have a good portion of the pigments settle towards the bottom of the container. When helping me learn to paint models, Dad always taught me to mix my paint well before applying it. And so, out of habit, I always try to give my paints a good mixing before I paint. The longer the container has set without use, the more time I spend on trying to mix the pigments back into suspension, so that I get a good, even coat of paint.

I should mention that I do a large portion of my painting by hand, using a brush. I have a couple of airbrushes, but I don't have a booth for airbrushing - nor a place to set one up at this time.

Thanks again for the help! Oh, and I find the "alligator" balls rather humorous! :D

Regards,
Tom
You never met my ex then :D

No problem, I also don't have a paint booth, I found a couple of old sheets of styrene glued in a V and then glued to a third sheet as a base works ok, I'm not a prolific spray painter, but it works for me.

Back