Mixing MRC DCC Systems

Can you mix DCC systems on your layout? I have a MRC Prodigy Express systems that came with a couple DCC locomotives I purchased from someone getting out of the hobby. It's a great starter system but I am limited to things I can do with the Express system. For example the Express system doesn't allow you to reverse locomotives when building consists. The MRC Prodigy Advance system does allow this feature.

If I were to purchase a MRC Prodigy Advance system and add it to the existing system will they an Express and Advance work together on the same layout or will they cancel each others programming out? Just wondering if I should go this route since I can use the extra throttle and amps or if I should just go with something else such as a digitrax system.

Thanks in advance.
Steve

So expanding on what I was posting earlier..... Here is a link to the the manual for expanding the MRC set up.

http://www.modelrectifier.com/resources/trainsound/0001408.pdf

After looking at that and shopping around a bit....

I can buy two expansion plates, a 3.5 amp booster w/ bus cables, and an MRC Prodigy Advance 2 throttle for $250 online as the diagram shows.

or

I could just buy a complete MRC Prodigy Advance 2 DCC system (cab, base unit, cables, power supply) for $270.

Would there be any benefit to buying one or the other? If I just added a Prodigy Advance throttle would I be able to use it for programming or would it have to be the Express throttle since I currently have an Express set up currently (Express base back hooked up to programming track).

Thanks
Steve

...For example the Express system doesn't allow you to reverse locomotives when building consists...

There is a simple way around this: Skip the consist feature of the DCC system and consist the decoders manually by programming CV19. Pick a consist address from 1 to 127 (but I would not use 3 since it is the default decoder address). Program that value into CV19 of any loco you want facing forward in the consist and program that value plus 128 into CV19 of any loco you want facing the rear of the consist. Run the consist by selecting the consist address. To break up the consist, program a value of zero into CV19 of all of any loco you want to remove from the consist.

...If I just added a Prodigy Advance throttle would I be able to use it for programming...

According to MRC, you can get all the features of the Advance by plugging an advance throttle in to the Express base station.

You can not have more than one command station connected to the track at the same time.

There is a simple way around this: Skip the consist feature of the DCC system and consist the decoders manually by programming CV19. Pick a consist address from 1 to 127 (but I would not use 3 since it is the default decoder address). Program that value into CV19 of any loco you want facing forward in the consist and program that value plus 128 into CV19 of any loco you want facing the rear of the consist. Run the consist by selecting the consist address. To break up the consist, program a value of zero into CV19 of all of any loco you want to remove from the consist.

According to MRC, you can get all the features of the Advance by plugging an advance throttle in to the Express base station.

You can not have more than one command station connected to the track at the same time.

Thanks for the info Robert, I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Is "128" a standard reverse value when programming CV19?

Good to know info on the advanced features in the Express base station, I must have missed that.

I'll look at the first choice above when I expand since I will eventually need too.

Steve

Yes, 128 is a standard value. For example, if you wanted to program two locomotives to a consist address of 10, but one running forward and the other reverse, you would set CV19 to a value of "10" on the first unit, and a value of "138" on the second unit. If both units were to run forward, they would both receive the same value of "10".

I own an MRC Prodigy Wireless and I like the added features, but the main reason that I upgraded was for the more power out of the box with the Advanced and Wireless setups. I was not aware that an Advanced throttle would give the Express more capabilities, I thought that was a limitation of the base unit, not the handheld. If that's the case, you may not need the Advanced system, it would however be a nice upgrade.

A standard RJ45 jack and CAT5 cable will work for an extension by the way. MRC recommends that after five throttles you use a powered extension plate.

Yes, 128 is a standard value. For example, if you wanted to program two locomotives to a consist address of 10, but one running forward and the other reverse, you would set CV19 to a value of "10" on the first unit, and a value of "138" on the second unit. If both units were to run forward, they would both receive the same value of "10".

I own an MRC Prodigy Wireless and I like the added features, but the main reason that I upgraded was for the more power out of the box with the Advanced and Wireless setups. I was not aware that an Advanced throttle would give the Express more capabilities, I thought that was a limitation of the base unit, not the handheld. If that's the case, you may not need the Advanced system, it would however be a nice upgrade.

A standard RJ45 jack and CAT5 cable will work for an extension by the way. MRC recommends that after five throttles you use a powered extension plate.

128 + the forward consist value added together.... Got it, that makes sense now. Think I read the first reply wrong as input in the consist value for fwd loco and then input 128 again. Thanks for the clarification, I'll give it a whirl tonight.

If it's the throttle that trumps the base then I think I'll go with the advance throttle, extension plates and some boosters for the power, otherwise I may have to go with the upgraded base/throttle combo. I'll see what I can find today at work.

Thanks for the help.
Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm running the express system, too. I spent $45 on the computer link cable and can now turn locos around in a consist using MRC's computer system.

YES just plug in an advance throttle to your system and that throttle will work with all the advance features.

Back