Mixing colours

Hi everyone, i am sorry if my grammar is incorrect i am doing this in a hurry.
I enjoy making REVELl models, but but the separate tips of paint are a bit expensive, so i bought one red, a blue , one black , and one white, a yellow and a green paint.

I am planing to mix them so i cloud get the other colors i need , iv found a dropper so i can mix them in a precise proportion , but i do not know any of those proportions, so can anyone help?? :confused:

I am making 1/72 model army weacles and some civil planes , does anyone know how i can mix the colours and can someone give me a few tips in paiting ?:confused:

ps:THANKS!!!:)

At the end of the day you'll be spending more. Mix paint, the extra dries out, mix again, mis-mix and chuck, start over...

Find a color wheel, that's what I used in a water color class. With three colors (primaries) you can make pretty much any color, including black (if you have intense enough primaries). Then it's all down to experimentation, which, again, will run through buckets of paint.

Man, Gotta agree with that reply !

I've had to mix custom colors on a few occasions, and by the time you nail what you are after, you have enought paint to coat the model fifty times over. And since it's usually a one-shot custom mix, the balance gets tossed out .... a real waste.

Then there's always the tonal qualities of the colors you are using as bases. You just can't mix blue and yellow and necessarily get a specific green you are after. You may have to add white, black or even gray to alter the hue and still be way off because to needed to start with a Reflex blue as opposed to a Pantone blue (Pantone references).

In order to produce ANY color, you need a LOT more base hues than you may realize.

Mark.

Thanks everyone for the help!! :)

But does anyone know where i can get a color wheal of the REVELL miniatures (The German model making company) , i am making their model army figures and weacles , civil weacles too they are awesome , but their small bucket of paint costs about 2 dollars and i need at least 5 of them for a model and that's really too much for my.

I know you cal waste lots of paint mixing paint , that's why i am looking for exact proportions how much drops of pant do i need to put for an specific color .
?????????????????
For example forest grass , 1 droop of yellow , 2 drops of green , 1/2 drop of white , 1/2 drop of black , or something similar.

These proportions would be ideal if they where specific for mixing REVELL model paint.

I hope i am not annoying , i am sorry if i am.

For everyone who had helped me or will help me THANKS!!! :) :) :)

At two dollars each, that sounds like a real bargain ! Most of the bottle of paint we use for model railroading average around five dollars each ! I shudder every time I look at the over one hundred bottles of paint I have sitting on the shelf !

A color mixing wheel is a great idea, but very unlikely you'll ever find one produced by a model paint company .... that's how they make their money - making all those colors FOR you.

The only system that does offer that type of color mixing system is the standard Pantone color mixing system. I have one of their mixing books which gives a swatch of every color imaginable along with the mixing ratios of the Pantone base colors. The book isn't cheap either - about $125+ for a current one ! The drawback to the Pantone based system is that model paints don't come in standard Pantone colors. They are the base tints that are used to create our hobby paints (the same ones the hardware store uses to custom mix house paint for you).

IF standard Pantone base colors WERE available as paint and not just tints or inks, then you might have something to work from. As it stands, we're pretty much on our own to mix by eye or buy the colors we need already made for us.

Mark.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help ! :)

Cloud you tell my the name of the painting book ?

I didn't want to make the exact similar color , i wanted to make a color that looks like the one that is written on the box of my model (there is a list of colors i should use on every model).

I am mostly making military models and i have some army figures and a glider plane from this company (see their website ) :

http://www.revell.de/index.php?id=178&L=1

You sad the paint was cheap , the only problem is that the buckets are small , and contain 14 ml of paint each and for one model i need about 6 of them each.

Do you happen to have a picture of that color wheal you mentioned?
You said that it cloud help my.

I have one black, one white , a yellow , one blue , red and a green bucket of color , do i need something else like a diluent (paint thinner, i am using google translate , im not sure how you say it)??

And as always THANKS ! :)

You sad the paint was cheap , the only problem is that the buckets are small , and contain 14 ml of paint each and for one model i need about 6 of them each.

that is strange. i bought small flask of model master (about 14ml )and so far was able to put several coats on the 2 tank models (1:35) i'm building. the flask is about half way down. althoguh i use airbrush and thin them appropriately.

with that, i buy premixed and will keep doing so. at the end of it not as expencive

The Pantone color system is not a wheel, but rather a book containing well over 2000 colors. But as I said before, this is a world-wide color matching system for printing and tinting. Is is not adaptable to model paints.

IF you were able to get hobby paint in accurate Pantone base colors, then the book would be of some value .... but you can't .... so it's not.

An internet search for Pantone Mixing System (PMS) will give you more results than you can digest - but as I've already stressed, useless for model paints.

The only reason I referenced the Pantone system was the fact it's pretty much the only know standard for custom mixing colors. The model paints you have on hand were no doubt mixed / matched to those specific colors from the manufacturer. Are they Pantone base colors ? .... I doubt it ! For example - Pantone Red looks more like bright pink than red. So right away, the red you have on hand is probably way off to even consider using in a Pantone mix.

In a nut-shell - you are on your own .... there is no chart, book or color wheel for non-standard model paints. Bite the bullet and buy the colors you need. Save yourself a big head-ache.

Finally - if you are airbrushing your paints, yes - you will require some thinner. Unless you are familiar with the chemical make-up of the paint you are using - again, save the trouble and get some of the thinner recommended by the manufacturer.

Mark.

Back