minolta camera

I'm not sure what this has to do with trains but are you asking about the Minolta SR-1 35mm film camera? If so, the first one was produced in 1959 and the last one was made in 1971. You need to know exactly which model you have to locate a manual. Minolta long ago removed their electonic version of the SR-1 manual from their web site but I have seen the original paper manuals on e-bay. If you have one of these, you should investigate the cost and availability of film for it in the future. 35mm film is being phased out of production at the consumer level and it's unlikely you will be able to get film or developing at anything like a reasonable price after 2008.

what the minolta camera has to do with trains is i am going to try to use it today to take photos of steam engine runnin at s.c. railroad mus. today about 20 miles from my house.

I'm not sure what this has to do with trains but are you asking about the Minolta SR-1 35mm film camera? If so, the first one was produced in 1959 and the last one was made in 1971. You need to know exactly which model you have to locate a manual. Minolta long ago removed their electonic version of the SR-1 manual from their web site but I have seen the original paper manuals on e-bay. If you have one of these, you should investigate the cost and availability of film for it in the future. 35mm film is being phased out of production at the consumer level and it's unlikely you will be able to get film or developing at anything like a reasonable price after 2008.

Are you serious! 35mm film will no longer be available after 2008'where did you get that information from.
With the number of 35mm camera's still out there i find this hard to believe.

The "camera" is one of our tools in the model rr world dude! Remember there many facets to this hobby. The sister forum next door... railroadforums.com talks heavily on cameras as well...

I use the camera at shows, conventions, train chasing etc for reference to model my proto types. Easy does it...:) :)

Are you serious! 35mm film will no longer be available after 2008'where did you get that information from.
With the number of 35mm camera's still out there i find this hard to believe.

You need to re-read my post. First, Fuji has already discontinued production of 35mm film. Kodak has announced that their goal is to sell only to the professional market by 2009 and stop consumer distribution altogether. Kodak will still offer film and processing but at substantially higher prices than what is charged now. Kodak's stated goal, from their annual report of 2006, is to exit the 35mm film market completely by 2011. I'm a Kodak shareholder and they have long recognized that the film market is dying and is becoming increasingly unprofitable. If you want to understand the truth of this, just go to Costco or Sam's Club and try to buy 35mm film. If one needs to stick to film, they will still be able to get it through professional resellers but it's going to be an arm and a leg. Digital cameras are already the future of photography. How many pictures do you think would ever get posted here if we were still using our 35mm SLR's and having to get film processed and then scanning the results?

The "camera" is one of our tools in the model rr world dude! Remember there many facets to this hobby. The sister forum next door... railroadforums.com talks heavily on cameras as well...

I use the camera at shows, conventions, train chasing etc for reference to model my proto types. Easy does it...:) :)

First, my name is not "dude", it's Jim, as you can see at the bottom of each of my posts. Second, a question about cameras is better posted in a camera forum than a model railroad forum. I'm not disputing that cameras are part of out hobby. If you are still using a film 35mm SLR, more power to you, but I suspect a very tiny percentage of railfans are using anything but digital cameras now. Even a digital camera question may have made sense but asking about an instruction manual for a camera that has been out of production since 1971 seems more than a bit off-topic.

No mention whatsoever of Fuji discontinuing their 35mm film on their web site (http://www.fujifilmusa.com). There was however, a press release announcing two new 35mm films. With 100 million 35mm cameras and 100 thousand C-41 mini labs out there, consumer film isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Nikon has announced it is discontinuing its line of 35mm film cameras, with the exception of the top of the line F6 and the student level FM10. Seems funny they'd continue producing cameras that couldn't be sold for lack of film.

No mention whatsoever of Fuji discontinuing their 35mm film on their web site (http://www.fujifilmusa.com). There was however, a press release announcing two new 35mm films. With 100 million 35mm cameras and 100 thousand C-41 mini labs out there, consumer film isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Nikon has announced it is discontinuing its line of 35mm film cameras, with the exception of the top of the line F6 and the student level FM10. Seems funny they'd continue producing cameras that couldn't be sold for lack of film.

Quite correct. I don't know how Fuji got in my mind. It was Pentax cameras and films that have stopped production. As for Nikon, there will always be a call for top of the line film cameras. For example, we were not allowed to use digital cameras for crime scene evidence because the negatives had to be submitted with the prints to prove no changes had been made to the prints. All our evidence techs used Nikon F6's but learned on FM10's since breaking an FM10 is a lot less painful to the budget than an F6. I assume that's why Nikon is continuing production of both the top and bottom ends.

As I wrote, there will still be 135mm film available, it will just be disappearing from the consumer market. I think there will always be a use for 135mm film in some applications but the days of going into the drugstore to buy film and have it developed are rapidly ending.

I'm glad Kodak will be gone. I hope they get rid of those Piece of CRAP Kodak digital cameras. I HATE those things.

I'm glad Kodak will be gone. I hope they get rid of those Piece of CRAP Kodak digital cameras. I HATE those things.

Think it's the other way around, Kodak is getting out of film and film based cameras, concentrating on digital. I recently sold my Kodak P850 digital camera, it was a great camera. 12X f/2.8 zoom lens with image stabilization, full auto and manual modes, pop up flash, hotshoe, movie capability, etc. Only drawback was its 5.1MP, there now is a 7MP version. An 11" by 14" I had made from one of its images looked pretty good to me.

The only reason I sold it was because I replaced it wth a Canon Powershot S5, with 8MP. Most of the same abilities as the Kodak, but faster startup and zooming.

It sure wasn't crap to me. They have/had so many digital cameras over the years that I assume others are less capable. But not all are.

Bob,
I have one of the original 4mp Kodak 6490's and it's been a great camera. The 10x f/2.8 optical zoom and Schneider lens put it way above other digitals when I bought it and Kodak continues to produce some very good digital cameras. They were behind the power curve for a while on digital but the company palns to be all digital by 2011 and I expect they will continue to be a big player in the market.

Think it's the other way around, Kodak is getting out of film and film based cameras, concentrating on digital. I recently sold my Kodak P850 digital camera, it was a great camera. 12X f/2.8 zoom lens with image stabilization, full auto and manual modes, pop up flash, hotshoe, movie capability, etc. Only drawback was its 5.1MP, there now is a 7MP version. An 11" by 14" I had made from one of its images looked pretty good to me.

The only reason I sold it was because I replaced it wth a Canon Powershot S5, with 8MP. Most of the same abilities as the Kodak, but faster startup and zooming.

It sure wasn't crap to me. They have/had so many digital cameras over the years that I assume others are less capable. But not all are.
Oh by no means are they the worst, I just have a personal preference to shy away from them. Too many bad experiences I guess. My biggest peeve was the earlier "You can only use Kodak digital software included on the CD to access you pictures." Have they done away with that? If so then they're not that bad, I guess.

My Sony's have all been plug & play, never needed software, nor even a CD or internet to install drivers. Unless we start talking RAW mode, or my video camera.

I also dislike cameras that use AA batteries...

Hummm, I could swear they were dropping the digital line too, and throw away cameras. Maybe I read the article I read wrong. :rolleyes: Oh well...

Last edited by a moderator:
Here goes, my goodness this forum is starting to sound like the Canon and Nikon forums on www.dpreview.com, I cannot understand why people get on their high horse when it comes to cameras.

I used film for over 40 years Medium Format and 35mm in that time I would have had about 10 cameras, two Minolta X700s I used for over 15 years as a Pro Wedding Photographer.

Sadly Digital cameras are an on going commodity like computers, update, update and more updates, more and more worthless features being thrown in to try and get suckers like me to open their wallets.

The Photograophy industry has been hijacked by the computer industry, that is why there are so many so called improvements.

More and more megapixels being thrown onto tiny sensors, higher and higher ISO settings that in many cases are unusable, longer and longer lens, people that complain about blurry pictures as they wave their 380mm zoom in the air, not knowing that they need to support the camera.

Modern cameras that are intended to make life easy for the novice instead they become so so confused that they just use the Auto Mode.

Photography has changed for the better but the thing that is killing it for me is all the hype that goes along with it, in many cases camera manufacturers are trying to reinvent the wheel but when its all said and done its all about time and light, the way its been for over 100 years.

As for the member that hates Kodak cameras maybe he can tell us why Kodak were the biggest selling camera for two years in a row, 2004 and 2005, you dont get there by making junk, I have tried seven different brands of digital cameras and I am now on my 20th Kodak, the reason I use then is because they are light and easy to carry when I go bush walking, I have done more than my share of lugging SLRs, over 30 years, these days I travel light, another reason I use Kodak is because of the fantastic colours, I have yet to find a camera that can beat them n that respect.

No comment, as stated its more of a personal pet peeve with the way they went about business a few years back. My 2mp camera doubles as my MP3 player, and my phone, and costs the same as most peoples camera only cameras...

EDIT This is my last post on this subject, it seems not many people like my views of Kodak. Please return to your regularly scheduled program, a Minolta camera...

Wow, I'm just now getting around to this thread.

Everyone please keep in mind we're all friends...:)

Okie, did you ever find your manual?

I HAD an awesome Konica FP1 program SLR until a Conrail Geep's handrail took it out along with my front teeth many years ago... I still have the last picture before it hit..LOL
I had it repaired afterwards but it was not the same. My folks SWARE by there 35mm,. of course only because digital scares em. We {my family} has 4 digitals ranging from a Kodak cx7530, awesome lil camera, ole girl has an Olympus E-500 NOW THATS A NICE CAMERA.. however she is leery when I want to grab it while going out to my train...LOL
You know, its personal taste,.. are you happy with your shots, ?? how serious do you take that "shot" so much is involved. Where do you go, do you need zoom, do you fire in the evening due to work schedules, need that higher speed film and shutter speed etc etc....
All in your own taste I think

How is the PowerShot S5 working out Bob? I've thought of getting one to use in places I don't want to subject my dSLR to...

Back