Mini Micro and Ultra Fine Micro Beads

eTraxx

This is a ... what can I use THIS for? post ..

First pic with the penny .. the beads you see to the left are the Ultra Fine Micro Beads and the ones to the right are the 'larger' Mini Micro Beads ..

MicroBeads_1.jpg

Close up of the larger Mini Micro Beads (they are .35mm size)

MicroBeads_2.jpg

and finally the Ultra Fine Micro Beads .. slightly larger then a grain of sugar

MicroBeads_3.jpg

The website is Pennywise Arts

.35mm in HO .. well that's .. 1.2" dia .. the Ultra fine look to be about half that ..

Now. What could these be used for? :)

Wonder if they could be used to create frothing water ... say at the bottom of a waterfall or in a hot tub scene ;)

I bet the rivet counters will go nuts for those. You could sell them for rivet heads

Last edited by a moderator:
Hail? Crystal balls? Bowling balls (painted black of course)? Caviar?

At 1.2" dia the big ones are almost perfect for golf balls (regulation 1.68")

Think that is a mite small for bowling balls .. or base balls for that .. :)

You could make a McDonald's with a ball pit!

Or, glue them to the inside of the window glass in a locomotive washing facility or a car wash. Instant soap suds.

Well since I did a swimming pool out of a bottle cap, I was thinking the neighbor's house needed a hot tub. Let's see, one smaller cap and these beads for bubbles! Let's PARTY!

I'm building a billiard table, wonder if they'd be close to billiard ball size...

From Wikipedia:

Russian pool – 68 mm (2-11⁄16 in)
Carom – 61.5 mm (2-7⁄16 in)
American-style pool – 57 mm (2-1⁄4 in)
British-style pool – 56 mm (2-3⁄16 in)
Snooker – 52.5 mm (2-1⁄15 in)

Let's see .. the one's I got (larger) are .35mm in dia (.0138"). In HO that is 1.2" .. so would be too small.

Their Micro Beads (no micro tacked onto the front) are .5mm (.0069"). Those would be 1.715" in HO .. still too small. (I find this funny that they are too small .. ha).

Working in the other direction .. the American/British-style pool/Snooker all range from 52.5mm to 57mm. In HO that is .6mm-.65mm. The difference between .5mm and .6mm/.65mm .. that .1mm/.15mm isn't very much .. only about .004" :)

If you want some message me with your address and I'll send you enough for a bunch of tables.

Edit: Same goes for anyone else that wants some .. I have plenty

Ed - Better be careful sending them in the mail, if they spill out the authorities might thing they are something more sinister.

Ed - Better be careful sending them in the mail, if they spill out the authorities might thing they are something more sinister.

Yep. They are so fine I would have to seal them really well or they would 'escape' easily

They'd make a fine detail for some spilled lading along the tracks, especially a few small piles where covered hoppers with leaky gates may have sat awhile.

Hmmm, this looks interesting...
- Various kinds of fruit
- O scale gumballs
- Eggs
- Croquet Balls
- Those... puffy balls that hang from curtains
- Live load for grain hoppers
- Marbles
- Big buttons on a dress
- Fat fish in a bowl
- Gobstoppers
- Acme Eyeballs (as in a scene in Who Framed Roger Rabbit)
- Various knickknacks on a shelf
- Rice balls
- Matzo balls
- Hamsters

Problem is.... you'd be painting that with a single brush hair!

I dont have any suggestions for those beads. The first thing I thought of was that wheat penny. What year is that penny?:D

I think if you do find a use for those small beads, you will likely discover that they may be more trouble then thier worth. Using them for making suds wouldnt make much sense when there are other easier ways to do that. Too bad they couldnt be melted down and used somehow that way.

The whole point is that they are small 'balls' about 1.2" and .6" dia in HO. Granted there is probably a limit to the number of uses for them, but I posted up about them since .. who knows? Example though, stick one of the .35mm balls on the top of a railing post .. something like the Post Ball Caps. The 1-1/4" ball would be almost an exact match.

newellball-lg.jpg

Just saying .. never can tell when you go .. "OH. That will there ..."

Last edited by a moderator:

Back