Mini chucks

MilwRoader_Steve

Bought a set of mini chucks from AMazon and am very happy. Here is a pic of one that has a hex shank for use with screw guns like my B&D pictured. The low speed and weight of that screw gun made control of the process quite easy.
Drill att.jpg

The set I got had two hex shank chucks and two straight for use in rotary tools. Hope this helps another modeler out there!

Steve J

Steve, I was never able to control my small bits with an electric drill of any kind. Maybe I am drilling smaller holes, however I purchased a pin vice with 4 different chucks built in and just spin it back and forth between a finger and thumb to get a quick hole drilled.

Bought it at Scale Model Supplies on Lexington near University.

I also have found a pin vice with the hex shaft. Most often I will start such small holes by hand. I have chucked the pin vice in my very large drill press which insures a straight entry and has controllable speeds.

A ship modeler friend put together one of those Tamiya drill kits and I guess it works OK. I sometimes use a Dremel tool but it's not low speed enough, on off switch too clunky and a big tool. Not an everyone solution but the drill press gets it straight and has a good feed handle. I can well appreciate that hand drilling had many limitations, it does for me!

Back