Milwaukee Road yard, Portage, Wisconsin

ak-milw

Here is the plan for my Milwaukee Road yard in Portage, Wisconsin, condensed version. Yard size 2' by 14'
aai.jpg

Looking good! That's quite alot of track you've got into that little space. A few questions:

1) Are there supposed to be any industries or other buildings going in that area?

2) I see you have some 18" curves, what is the longest type of rolling stock you'll be running (any 85-footers)?

3) That mainline track toward the right of your diagram, I guess it continues beyond what is shown?

Here's the story guy's,
I am modeling the Milwaukee Road, 1950 to 1960, between Portage and Tunnel City Wisconsin. It will be a close to proto layout, the whole thing will cover 16' by 22' around the walls and peninsulas. The yard diagram has been tweeked some during building. There is a small diesel facility, a caboose supply shop, and various buisiness' that where there at that time all condensed into a 2' by 14' yard. Most rolling stock will be 40' box cars, some 50's. Steam and early diesel will rule. It will have a double track main line just like the prototype. The pictures I have are about a year old and the easiest way to do this is to have you go to www.railimages.com/gallery/andykramer
You will see in the pic the track on the right will go through a wall, on the other side of the wall is going to be the Tunnel at Tunnel City, the only Tunnel between Chicago and the Rockies.I will be posting newer pic's when I get my digital camera back,my daughter has it. The yard is just about done at this time, just a little more scenery to put in and of course the super detailing of each scene. Sorry to carry on so, hope I answered your questions! If you have any more ask away. Oh, the curve radius's are approximatly 24", 22" 20"
:eek:

sounds GREAT!:D , and the pics looked like you were coming along nicely.:) cant wait to see more recent pics!;) :D i STONGLY suggest you tell your daughter if she doesnt bring your camera back tomarrow, you'll....GROUND HER!:eek: LOL!:D get that camera back Andy, i want to see some Milwaukee action.:D -Dean

I finaly got the camera and took about fifty pic's, just went crazy. Here is and overview of the yard, I still have to finish the background insert that goes into the window, and I have to finish the York Coal Co. on the far end
aay.jpg

Here is a shot standing under the north water tower looking south
aaz.jpg

If you would like to see more let me know or go to my rail images album!
:eek:

Andy, i just came back from your railimages gallery, and i have to say..GREAT JOB!;):D you sure have come a long way since i seen your last pictures.;):D it REALLY looks NICE!:D now i know why i haven't seen you on here for a while, you've been hard at work. if you have ANY more pics, post em! great job Andy.:) -Dean

Hello Andy,

I too just finished looking over your album. Man you've been busy!! Looks great too!:cool: I wish I would've had some of those clamps to hold the foam on my stuff. I just piled a bunch of heavy stuff all over it, and well, that just plain sucks:mad: .

Anyway It's always cool to see something that has a familiar ring to it. I get to Portage once in a while and you are doing a great job of reflecting what's there:cool:

Keep posting the progress,

Johnny

ak-milw said:
... Sorry to carry on so, hope I answered your questions! If you have any more ask away.
Yep you answered 'em! And what a difference a few dozen pictures can make. Looking forward to seeing more...

Dean,
Thanks for the comments!! I usualy only post something if I can add to something or help out, otherwise I just read everything.

Johnny,
You are only about a hour away from me, I get up to La Crosse about once a month. Thanks for the kind words.

Ken,
I try to answer all questions without going to far overboard, sometimes you just can't help it. I will post more pic's as I load them up and get farther.

Again thanks for the kind words!!;)

Back