Metal Wheels

jweir43

I've looked and can't seem to find a way of taking the plastic trucks off of a car (say, a caboose) and replacing them with metal so that I can light the insides of the car. Do they make just the wheels/trucks for such a conversion and where do I find them?

Thanks,

Jim

I'm not too familiar with it, but would something like this work:

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Walthers-Proto-HO-Interior-LED-Lighting-Kit-p/920-1060.htm

I know I have seen what you're talking about at shows before. It might be something that an individual is making to sell as opposed to something mass produced and readily available. Did you check at your local hobby shop? Maybe someone there has heard of it, or knows where to get something similar.

Hi Jweir43,

Normally you would need to replace the plastic wheelsets with metal ones. Insulators on the left for one truck, insulators on the right for the other truck. Then attach a copper or brass wiper to each truck to get the power you need. Wipers would attach to the center truck mounting screw and a flexible wire from the wiper into the car.

Who makes the car? what kind of car is it, i.e. caboose, gondola, tank car etc. What scale is it?

N gauge, and it shouldn't matter who makes it. Nor would I ever want to light up a gondola or tanker. I thought I mentioned caboose in the original posting.

N gauge, and it shouldn't matter who makes it. Nor would I ever want to light up a gondola or tanker. I thought I mentioned caboose in the original posting.

No, you didn't, but that didn't matter as when you talk about lighting a car, its either a caboose, or a passenger car of some type.

Many older N scale cars have a plastic pin that goes through the truck into the body to hold it in place. Some have trucks that have a built-in pin and you just snap the truck off. Either way, as was said earlier, just replace the wheelsets in the car with new metal sets, with metal axles. Put the wheels in as described, one truck gets the wheelset with the insulation on one side, and the other truck, gets the insulation the other. Then use a wire wiper to rub on the axle and run a fine wire from each up into the body, and connect the lights.

I would recommend that if you don't have one, go to the LHS, (local hobby shop), or order online, a N-scale catalog from Walthers. There may very well be a kit you can buy just for doing this, that will have everything you need to light up a car.

No, you didn't, but that didn't matter as when you talk about lighting a car, its either a caboose, or a passenger car of some type.

Sir, with all due respects. I didn't ask whether I should go to my local train store or Walthers, both of which I have researched and both of whom have come up dry. If you don't have any better answer than this, thanks, but please don't give generic answers that don't go to the point.

I don't need to know how to use brass shims to make wipers. I didn't ask that. I don't need to know how to fasten the trucks to the cars. I didn't ask that. I simply asked for a source of metal wheels, and so far I haven't gotten an answer.

And yes, I *DID* say caboose or you weren't listening, one or the other.

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Sir, with all due respects. I didn't ask whether I should go to my local train store or Walthers, both of which I have researched and both of whom have come up dry. If you don't have any better answer than this, thanks, but please don't give generic answers that don't go to the point.

I don't need to know how to use brass shims to make wipers. I didn't ask that. I don't need to know how to fasten the trucks to the cars. I didn't ask that. I simply asked for a source of metal wheels, and so far I haven't gotten an answer.

And yes, I *DID* say caboose or you weren't listening, one or the other.

Thanks,

Jim

Can't imagine you're making many friends here with your responses, even though you are correct that it was "say, a caboose", which you have to admit isn't exactly clear and definitive.

So here's the deal: You can get metal wheels from any number of places, but they aren't going to solve your problem. Metal wheels by themselves don't transfer power to the interior of your caboose. You need a complete truck that has wipers and wires that do indeed transfer that power where you need it. If you ever decide to be a bit more cordial, you might find someone that'll direct you to such a thing.

Can't imagine you're making many friends here with your responses, even though you are correct that it was "say, a caboose", which you have to admit isn't exactly clear and definitive.

What a jerk, but then again, I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man. Go your way sir, and no thanks for stopping by.

Jim

LMAO. Okay, guys, I've been properly put in my place. So let's all help this wonderfully polite gentleman with his problem. Or possibly just ignore him and forget he exists. What say you?

I will forever be baffled by people who think that hostility is the best way to get what they want. I kinda outgrew that in kindergarten.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a jerk, but then again, I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man. Go your way sir, and no thanks for stopping by.

Jim

Tried to help, and got dissed. OK You'll never get another answer from me. And since you've changed your original post, I have no way to prove that your original comment was how to get the trucks off.

I've been in the hobby for over 50 years, and since you seem to know more, find your own answers!

LMAO. Okay, guys, I've been properly put in my place. So let's all help this wonderfully polite gentleman with his problem. Or possibly just ignore him and forget he exists. What say you?

I will forever be baffled by people who think that hostility is the best way to get what they want. I kinda outgrew that in kindergarten.

I say ignore him until he apologizes for his asinine comments and tries again. I mean he got his answers, but didn't like them. One last word. Google.

Well you might. What say if you wanted a tail light (End of train device), eh? Could be a gondola or tanker car, you know. But caboose is what you want to know about. How about a battery powered light? LED's don't use much power so a small batter should last a long time. There are 3V batteries and 3V LED's. Link 'em up and youi don't need to worry about the trucks and wheels.

Metal N scale wheelsets:

Kadee Microtrains; Atlas; BLMA Models, probably others.

Metal trucks: none known except those furnished on brass models. Not to say there aren't any, but I found none.

Also after reading this thread may I recommend a copy of Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People"?

Back