metal wheels

I'll be honest. I never thought that metal wheels could be that much better than plastic. I mean, what's the difference what the material for the wheel is? Well, I'll tell you the difference right now! A Bachmann 0-6-0 DCC steam loco will pull about 2-3 cars (that's all!) with plastic wheelsets. Swapped out for metal on about five cars last night (plus had some metal already), got the thing to pull 8 cars and I feel like I could've done more! So anyone in the air on metal wheels, DO IT!!! So worth it!

Funny how that works, eh?
Now if you get the "truck tuner" from Micro Mark you'll increase the number of cars further yet!
Highly recommended!

There's absolutely no comparison. The first thing I do with any rolling stock before it hit the rails is changing the wheels and adding Kadee couplers.

Yeah, I tried to get a truck tuner tool last night at the LHS, but he was out of them! I don't really wanna order one, plus I'll be at Timonium next weekend so hopefully I'll get one there. Kadees are a must for me now as well (I absolutely REFUSE to use bachmann ez-mates!!!) and I try to buy my cars with kadees already on them.

I'll be honest. I never thought that metal wheels could be that much better than plastic. I mean, what's the difference what the material for the wheel is? Well, I'll tell you the difference right now! A Bachmann 0-6-0 DCC steam loco will pull about 2-3 cars (that's all!) with plastic wheelsets. Swapped out for metal on about five cars last night (plus had some metal already), got the thing to pull 8 cars and I feel like I could've done more! So anyone in the air on metal wheels, DO IT!!! So worth it!

If you get the truck tuner and run it on all the wheelsets I bet you will pull 12 cars. Change all the couplers to Kadee and forget about disconnects. We use Intermountain wheelsets at our club and have great success. I have no problem pulling over 50 cars with my 6 axle modern diesels. A couple of my locos can pull 78 or more cars. It really depends on how well the modules for our club are tied back together. Metal wheels, kadee couplers and good rail joints are key.

Back