Mellow Mike's Most Recent Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mellow Mike said:
... his idea of "how it's done" is referring to advanced weathering in general. Not my particular methods.
That's it Mike, don't let anyone force you to tell. :D

I remember that over a year or so ago, you and I had a conversation, via e-mail, about this on the Atlas Forum, and I still think I gave you good advice.

It all boils down to two things. Technique and Talent. You never divulge your technique, no matter who says what about it, and the Talent in using that technique is evident for all to see.

So let them tell you that they know what your technique is, and sit there and smile to yourself, for even if they DO EVER figure it out, they'll never know for sure.

Brakie said:
Mike, Darrel does the same work you do with the same method. Looking at his work, your work, and RCH's work they all look the same...

To the untrained eye, Larry. No disrespect towards you intended.

If you ask the big leaguers themselves - there are clearly differences.

And how can you say Darrel and I share methods, if you know nothing about what I do before you witness the results? You're comparing finished cars, and thinking they must've all been done the same way.

...so, I fear as CSX road slug said your secret is already out and been out long before you came busting on the scene.

Does all black tea taste the same, Larry? They sure look the same in a cup, by golly. Therefore, a person with no sense of taste will make a blanket statement that all black tea is the same.

A person who does not have the same feel for weathering as Ryan or myself - will make a blanket statement that the majority of realistically weathered freight cars were done using identical principles and products.

Ever hear of Jim Six? Jim's weathering is among the best realistic weathering I've seen...

Of course I have heard of Jim. Next time you say hello - ask Jim to reiterate who he felt did the most realistic freight car model he's ever seen.

There are thousands of highly talented modelers out there that does museum quality work...

That, Larry, is an absurd exaggeration. I'm sorry... but it's more like two dozen.

Ask Jim. Ask Ryan. But be sure you ask someone who lives and breathes this kind of art. Not Fred Jones down at the club layout - or some model train store owner - or a guy who's done Lionel for 4 decades.

By Carey: I had a conversation, via e-mail, about this on the Atlas Forum
Hi Carey, what has happened on the Atlas forum, will not be be repeated here. One of the main purposes of a forum is the sharing of information. If person is not willing to share techniques or methods that is his/her right not to do so, but then I'd have to question the purpose of that post.
Why post it in a discussion thread, if you don't want to discuss it? If it is just to display a well done model, then we have a form under the General Discussions" banner just for that purpose, called "Showin' Off " ( the name was selected in a light hearted way some time ago and not meant to have a derogatory meaning)

In some ways the tone of the rhetoric is tending to have an unpleasant undertone, so I'd like to remind everyone to keep it civil and keep it clean :)

Cheers
Willis

CBCNSfan said:
Why post it in a discussion thread, if you don't want to discuss it? If it is just to display a well done model, then we have a form under the General Discussions banner just for that purpose, called "Showin' Off "

Whatchoo talking about Willis.

So lemme get this straight.

Don't post it in a discussion thread - but rather go under General Discussions to another category. Sounds like they're both discussion related to me.

Sounds like they're both discussion related to me
Well they are, but there's a place for each

Hi Mike the thread title suggests your latest project the rail car. Looking at the thread now, it's a discussion about not sharing methods, so for a start it's somewhat off topic. This thread is in the section about painting and weathering. where information generally is shared, which is not the direction this discussion is in.

Cheers Willis

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back