Mechanical Reefer

Dortoh1

Does anyone make a detailed 50' mechanical reefer? I like the old blue box Athearn, but I'm looking for something with detailed ladders and such and not just cast on. I will detail and Athearn if I have to, but it would be nice to find something that I don't have to remove the cast on detail.
Doug

Does anyone make a detailed 50' mechanical reefer? I like the old blue box Athearn, but I'm looking for something with detailed ladders and such and not just cast on. I will detail and Athearn if I have to, but it would be nice to find something that I don't have to remove the cast on detail.
Doug

Doug, many years ago, a company called Pacific HO made a fairly decent kit of a mechanical reefer. It had most of what you want. I still see them on E-bay.

Red Caboose and Intermountain both have mechanical reefer cars.
Looks like both of companys cars are the modern no roof walk 57' or 60' cars. I'm looking for the older 50' with roof walk style, but thanks for the info.
Doug

That Pacific HO had roofwalks, and everything you else you have said you want. Plus it is a plastic craftsman kit. One of the first I ever saw. IIRC, its a flat kit as well.

That Pacific HO had roofwalks, and everything you else you have said you want. Plus it is a plastic craftsman kit. One of the first I ever saw. IIRC, its a flat kit as well.
Thanks, I've been doing some searching, not the easiest thing with all the "Pacifics" used in model railroading. I also found that WrightTrak models makes one, but it's a $50 kit. The WrightTrak model doesn't show a roof walk, but it still has the mounts on the roof.

The only complaint that I have with Gary's kits is the price. Comparable resin kits are $15-$20 cheaper.
They are proud of them. I've built WrightTraks Central of Georgia Plywood caboose. The Central of Georgia historical society was selling the kits at the St. Louis Railroad Prototype Modelers meet a few years ago and I couldn't pass it up. Getting the windows in was a pain, but other than that I enjoyed it. It still wasn't quite weathered in this pic. Doug
IMG_1038small.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Doug

Details Assoc. makes a detail kit for the Athearn cars. Pacific HO's 50' mech. reefers were nicer. They are flat kits but assemble easily Phil

Back