Measuring track on my layout

PrairieKnight

I was at my LHS this weekend talking and dreaming with others that were there. One of the gentlemen asked me how many feet of track I have on my layout. I actually have no idea. I have a mixture of pre-packaged sections and "cut to fit" flex track. Does anyone have a good method for measuring the track on your layout? I am thinking I might lay pieces of rope down on the straight runs, turnouts, curves, yards, and spurs. Then add up the total length of the pieces of rope to get my measurement. I am open to any and suggestions.

Using rope isn’t a bad idea, you could mark it every ten inches or some such.
Also a sewing tape measure might work better, you know the canvas roll out thingys?

I used a piece of string cut to a 3FT section. It probably was close enough to give me a general idea. Probably anything flexible would work even a piece of solid wire.

Measure a train, get it close to the nearest foot. Note where the front of the engine is. Run last car to that point and stop. From where the engine is now to where the last car was is two train lengths. Repeat and add.

If you like Math Science and calculations you could get your engine up to a good speed and time how long it takes to travel 1 foot. Then run your train with a timer. Kind of like figuring MPH but I guess it would be FOT(feet of track). But string will probable work better. Less fun, but more efficient.

I believe 67 real feet equals 1 scale mi in HO..You can then eyeball it and get a good general total of real feet and scale miles.. It doesn't have to be exact. Just a rough estimate works for most coffee talk.... Yeah ! I know. It's a drag when you find out your RR's length is way shorter than you had imagined !!
:eek:

I had this issue today. I'd done some drawings in full scale in CAD then scaled them down to make a model. I changed the original and scaled the new drawing down but it was .005" off in about 3" from the other. Ok, it's not that much but it didn't match what I'd already finished. That got me to wondering what is the best way to consistently scale a drawing, what scale factor to use. It turns out that 3.5mm/ft is actually 1/87.08571 which makes a scale mile 60' 7 9/16". You know, for when precision matters.

Back