MDC sound station " add speakers".

iggy809

Have a MDC sound station that has lost power to the main speaker. No power back to the PCB. Aux speaker still works. Have 2 computer speakers wired together with mini speaker plug. I would like to add these 2 speakers to the sound station. How and where could I add them?

Have a MDC sound station
Do you mean an MRC sound station. Maybe a Sound Station 312?

How do you know it has lost power to the main speaker, and not just a loose connection or blown speaker?

PCB?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you mean an MRC sound station. Maybe a Sound Station 312?

How do you know it has lost power to the main speaker, and not just a loose connection or blown speaker?

PCB?
Yes it is a MRC sound station. I just want to add 2 more speakers to the station and would like to know how to do it. 2 speakers in the sound station each handle a different function or sounds. Add a speaker in parallel. add a female plug and solder to the pcb.Will this handle more speakers? Can it be done and how? Thanks

Add a speaker in parallel. add a female plug and solder to the pcb.Will this handle more speakers?
Unfortunately I am unable to find any manual or documentation on the technical aspects of the SoundStation 312. I have a "city and country" sound system somewhere, but I don't know where. Haven't seen it for years, lest I would just look at it and be able to help better.

However, in general, speakers are ohms of inductance not resistance. This means that adding a speaker in parallel will reduce the load on the driver. So if the speaker is currently 8 ohms and another 8 ohm speaker is added in parallel the sound processor output will be driving only 4 ohms of speakers. That could overload it. A safer bet would be to put the 2nd speaker in series. That would let the driver see 16 ohms.

Back