MARX HO Village

SRQ RioGrande

I am new to the Forum so I will try my best not to mess up. I am looking for some unique assistance. I recently came into possession of a Marx HO (yes I mean HO!) Village. It has paper buildings (15 in number) and they are the type you punch out of the paper and assemble. This package is still sealed in the original packaging. It was manufactured in 1961 and has a number on the front of the packaging # 6051. I can not find this item in the Greenberg book on Marx, nor any other book that I have on Marx.
My questions are therefore, is anyone familiar with this item? Can you tell me anything about it beyond the obvious? Does it have any great value since it is mint (unsealed and therefore unused)? Do you know of someone outside the forum who could share additional information on this item? Thanks SRQ RioGrande aka Bill :confused:

Bill,
Whatever you do, don't open up that package! I have no idea how much it is worth but I remember seeing it when I was a kid, new, and there weren't many of them before Marx got out of the HO train business. I suspect that this is a paper villiage kit that was made by another company and custom labeled for Marx for the 1961 Christmas season only. I wish I could remember the name of that paper building model company, darn it, because you'd probably find more information by searching on them instead of Marx.

I would try listing it on e-bay and see what collectors think it's worth. You can set a high (or what I think is high) reserve of $100 so it doesn't go to somone for $10. I have nothing to back up my assertion but I just feel like this is a rare and valuable piece of Marx railroadiana based on my memories of how few times I saw these when I would have been 13 years old and was an active modeler at the time.

Jim- Thanks for your thoughts. I'm fairly sure you are correct that some company produced it for Marx. Everything I can see on the cover page indicates Marx, but that would not be unusual. If you buy a package of Publix cereal, it doesn't say made by Kellogs some where else. You idea of putting it on E-Bay with a high reserve is interesting. I'll see if I can get some more ideas from others who may have some knowledge on HO Marx. Bill:)

welcome!

Wish I could help ya there Bill but that Marx stuff is out of my league... Someone here will have info before long for ya!:D
Glad you could make it here! Enjoy and Welcome to the Forum! ;) We have a great group of guys and gals here!

WOW Nice find!!...Anything that's paper and made it since 1961 is worth allot!...Even more to the one guy that wants it bad for a collection or had one when he was young. I remember an item I use to see in the back of comic books. It was cardboard I imagine, you could get a submarine or an army tank. It showed like 2 kids could get inside it like a play mobile. Shot missiles out of both. I think it was like $12 buck back then which was allot of money for mom to fork over so I could get one...(which is why I didn't have one)...I try now and then to search eBay for one just to have.
Like someone else said "Don't open it!!!!" Great find! It will be cool to find out what it's worth.
One thing to remember eBay is tricky...you have to list it right so its found easily. It's like Nascar items, they may say in a book it's worth one thing, it's finding the guy who will pay that or more to get the true value. I have some items that might be worth say $10, but to me it's worth allot more.

Back