Marklin HO Flying Scotsman!

I don't like the shiny copper tubing and lubricators around the front of the loco. Surely the real loco doesen't look like this.
Sorry, yep it does, I spent many rainy days polishing all the copper and brass on her, the reason, so I was told by one of the drivers, is that if a pipe develops even a minute leak the area around that leak will turn green in a day or two making it easier to find and repair it, (something to do with the water in the boiler being super-heated.) After all, if it were to split while in service it would force the locomotive to be removed from service and a replacement found, in those days a costly affair.

How true that reason is I don't know, I was 16 at the time so.......

Sorry, yep it does, I spent many rainy days polishing all the copper and brass on her, the reason, so I was told by one of the drivers, is that if a pipe develops even a minute leak the area around that leak will turn green in a day or two making it easier to find and repair it, (something to do with the water in the boiler being super-heated.) After all, if it were to split while in service it would force the locomotive to be removed from service and a replacement found, in those days a costly affair.

How true that reason is I don't know, I was 16 at the time so.......
That actually makes perfect sense.

Back