Manual Turnout Throws from Fascia - Ideas wanted

So on the latest layout, since it's a "shelf" layout with max width of 24", I want to go 'retro' and only use electric/tortoise turnout controls in hidden areas. For visible areas I plan to use manual turnout throws. I'm not talking 'ground throws' a la Caboose, but fascia-mounted knobs/push-pull with manual/physical connection to the turnout.

I've also considered the setups that just create a spring-tension on the turnout and you 'throw' it by taking your finger and moving the turnout. That's a little too far into "manual" world for my taste, though...

Searched the forums a bit and don't see much - maybe just using the wrong keywords?

Watched a few videos on Youtube and got some ideas, but no "yes, that's it!" revelations. Nothing I've found that really, fully shows exactly how it's done.

Wondering if anyone can point to a thread and/or video with some recommended "how to"... I'm agnostic whether it's push/pull or turn-the-knob, just want something reliable and mechanical that'll work even if the power goes out :)

Thanks,

Kris

Where you need to look is Fast Tracks and take a look at the "Bull Frog" manual turnout controls. Check out the Fast Tracks web site and look up "Bull Frog" They have several videos on the turnout machines, assembly which is extremely easy and applications. Great stuff from "Fast Tracks" in Canada.

http://www.handlaidtrack.com

Thanks
Wayne

I had several coat-hanger push/pull actuators at my layout's edge on my last layout, and several bell-crank style ones made out of wood. The wooden ones had a small dowel or something like it protruding out of the edge board of the layout. They all worked quite well, especially after breaking them in.

A few months ago Model Railroader magazine had an article about fascia mounted switch controls which use 3-way light switches (mine were $1.39 each from Walmart in a shallow electrical box which was $0.59 at Lowe's) as the mechanism which also can be wired for routing power to a metal frog.

Sorta like a choke cable (bicycle brake/gear change cable) that goes from the turnout to the fascia, is that what you want?

Sorta like a choke cable (bicycle brake/gear change cable) that goes from the turnout to the fascia, is that what you want?

Yeah... The thing is I can think of many ways to have a push/pull or twist knob that's attached to a wire that activates the turnout - dowels, wires, cables, etc.

What I can figure out, and can't adequately see/find in youtube videos or threads, is how to make it "stay put" and keep the tension on... Like when a tortoise is stalled in one direction, it keeps tension on the actuation wire. I'm hard pressed to think of how I can get my manual setup (cable, wire or otherwise) to stay once I've thrown it one direction or the other...

Simple SPDT slide electrical switches were what I used on my last layout. They were mounted on the edge and provided good positive pressure for the turnouts. Since they also were double pole, I could also provide positive electrical contact for the frogs.

I got the idea from an article by Gordon Odegard from a Model Railroader mag in the 1970's.

They can also be mounted directly under the turnout on their sides. By drilling 2 holes thru the "button", one went thru the layout up to the throwbar, and a wire ran from there to the fascia where it had a small knob mounted. You'd push or pull to throw the turnout.

Last edited by a moderator:
Carey stole my thunder! This weekend I can post a link to a site that gives a good explanation of how to do this and the wiring involved. I don't have it bookmarked on my Kindel so it will have to wait til Friday night or Saturday morning.

Yeah... The thing is I can think of many ways to have a push/pull or twist knob that's attached to a wire that activates the turnout - dowels, wires, cables, etc.

What I can figure out, and can't adequately see/find in youtube videos or threads, is how to make it "stay put" and keep the tension on... Like when a tortoise is stalled in one direction, it keeps tension on the actuation wire. I'm hard pressed to think of how I can get my manual setup (cable, wire or otherwise) to stay once I've thrown it one direction or the other...

If you haven't laid track yet, I'm thinking use Peco turnouts? They are spring loaded and will stay tight to the rail whichever way it is thrown. I've read Micro-Engineering turnouts are that way too, but I only have used Peco.

Back