Making up local trains

PeteCVTR

I was wondering if when they make up local trains in the yards if they set up the cars in the order they will be dropped or random?

I was wondering if when they make up local trains in the yards if they set up the cars in the order they will be dropped or random?

Cars are set up according to stops, but usually in reverse order, so that empties are added to the front of the train when all switching is completed. First stop is the last set before the through cars. You pick up the empties and bring them out to the train. Then you go and spot the drop offs. You continue to work back towards the engine until all drop offs are completed. Then you are on your way to your permanent destination.

This all depends how the trains run. I know on the NECR we have 4 different Destinations for empties so you plan ahead and make a few moves on cars as you pick them up so when you return you dont have to switch out your train. Not unusual to hold on to several cars to pick some up then shove back and spot your loads.

One thing I noticed in a lot of photos from the fifties on trains is that the stock cars and refers are usually behind the loco. I'm guessing it is because the livestock is high maintenance and the cold stuff needs to me moved as quick as possible?

Back