Making 1970s Life-Like Rolling Stock Reliable at a Reasonable Price, Under $5 per Car

Bruette

As many of you know I am not a high-end modeler. My primary focus is Lionel O gauge, but I enjoy running my HO trains like the ones I had under my Christmas trees for most of my life. I also enjoy DCC, but that is another topic and is not relative to this one, not much so anyway.

For Christmas 2013 I restored an original Tyco spirit of 76 set just like the one my Mom bought for me before Christmas in 1974, my very first train. That went very well once I acquired all the rolling stock and restored a locomotive. There was not much work involved other then cleaning. It ran very well with all original parts. I only had an occasional uncoupling, not really a problem.

This last Christmas I wanted to recreate the first train I bought. A Life-Like GP38-2 Chessie/B&O pulling 10 Life-Like 100 ton Chessie/B&O hoppers followed by a Life-Like Chessie/WM caboose. I thought it would be simple like the Tyco set was, I was wrong. I was plagued by derailments. It would circle my little Christmas tree on my layout several times and than without fail when I walked away it would derail. When I would come back the rolling stock was off the rails and being dragged around the track. It never did uncouple!

In the mean time I found new Bachmann DCC GP38-2 Chessie/B&O locomotive. Even though my Christmas oval is powered by DC and my restored Life-Like locomotives run great I still wanted the new DCC locomotive. I did not need it, but I wanted it! I am sure many of you can understand that. I justified buying the new DCC locomotive in my mind because next year I hope to run my little HO Christmas oval with my new Bachmann DCC commander. I also have an NCE setup but that is for my future dedicated HO layout.

I looked into buying new trucks, but that is expensive and a bit daunting because there are so many choices. I decided to go with just replacing the plastic wheels with metal wheels. Now that I had the new locomotive with knuckle couplers I also bought replacement knuckle couplers for my rolling stock.

Now my 1970s Life-Like rolling stock has metal wheels, knuckle couplers and the original plastic trucks. I finally got around to testing out my improved Christmas train today and to my delight the problem is solved!!! My 11 car train has been running all morning with no problems what so ever!

Total cost per car = $4.01 the couplers cost $0.68 per car and the wheels $3.33 per car. I could not be happier! I know the plastic couplers won't hold up to the stress of a long train, but for me this solution was perfect! I am going to upgrade my all Tyco and other 1970s rolling stock in the same manor. I will let you know how that goes.

Bachmann HO Scale 42904 33" Flat Back Wheel Sets 12 Per Card from MB Klein/Model Train Stuff
Bachmann 33inch Metal Wheels.jpg

Life-Like Scene Master HO 1427 Knuckle Couplers (10 pair) from MB Klein/Model Train Stuff
Life-Like Knuckle Couplers.jpg

You don't always have to go top of the line, but you always have to match the product to the application.

Yo Louis:

Welcome to the Benevolent and Frugal Order of Creative Problem Solvers :rolleyes:. Sometimes, all it takes is some thought. Walthers is currently selling the same Life Like 100 ton Hoppers as part of their "Main Line" brand RTR at $25.00 per car. So.....you did good.

Good work Bruette ! Last night I took an older boxcar (marked only "Hong Kong" and upgraded it too, mine used Kadee couplers and wheels because I had them. I also super glued pennies together (4 x 2) for weight on either end of the car (where it can't be seen) pennies are literally cheaper than any other weight.

Thank you Gentlemen! I love these old cars and to be able to make them run reliably without spending a fortune is fantastic!

This morning I had an idea to make a maintence shop and or a scarp yard, the left over wheels will be good for that purpose. I will also load a few flat cars with some that I will clean up.

Now all I have to do is to build a dedicated HO layout.

Yo Louis:

Welcome to the Benevolent and Frugal Order of Creative Problem Solvers :rolleyes:. Sometimes, all it takes is some thought. Walthers is currently selling the same Life Like 100 ton Hoppers as part of their "Main Line" brand RTR at $25.00 per car. So.....you did good.
I have never been one for clubs, except for sports teams, but that is one club I would be proud to be a member of!

Good work Bruette ! Last night I took an older boxcar (marked only "Hong Kong" and upgraded it too, mine used Kadee couplers and wheels because I had them. I also super glued pennies together (4 x 2) for weight on either end of the car (where it can't be seen) pennies are literally cheaper than any other weight.
Jim that is a great idea! The last I heard the government spends 2.5 cents to make a penny, at least we will be putting them to good use!

I recently competed a Roundhouse box car kit, I bought back in 1969, when the Penn Central was brand new and exciting. The lettering is wrong, I replaced the white metal couplers and the wheels, and intend to get appropriate decals that I can patch in as part of the weathering process. Ironically, as cheap as the improvements -couplers and wheels per car - they probably cost more than the original kit.

I recently competed a Roundhouse box car kit, I bought back in 1969, when the Penn Central was brand new and exciting. The lettering is wrong, I replaced the white metal couplers and the wheels, and intend to get appropriate decals that I can patch in as part of the weathering process. Ironically, as cheap as the improvements -couplers and wheels per car - they probably cost more than the original kit.

Boris if I am not mistaken I think I paid about $2 for my Life-like cars when they were new.

I would like to see a picture your car when you get it finished. Penn Central is one of my favorite railroads.

Adjusting for inflation and improved quality I think prices today are better then ever.

These are not my original cars, I lost them after my divorce. These are the same kind of cars I had, but I bought these on eBay. I paid between $5 and $15 for each car including shipping. Yeah I did not buy very smart at first.

Nice project, Loius--I am with you on fixing up the old rolling stock!!

LASM I like old, as I know you do and like you one of the best parts of this hobby for me is to bring back an old piece and see it run. I am going to try to do the same thing with my old Tyco rolling stock.

Back